Safe to combine different age chicks in brooder

Monstertone

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Is is safe to put a few one week old chicks in the same brooder as 2 day old chicks?

What is the min/max age range that would be safe?

Thanks,

Tom

I think it may work...but you need to keep a very close eye on them. if you see the little ones being picked on too much..you'll have to seperate. good luck!

yes, it is safe to put two day olds with one week olds. You can put them together up to a couple weeks...just keep an eye on them if they are past two weeks. I have had some older ones actually spread their wings and younger chicks run to them for a snuggle
love.gif
I am sure it depends on the temperament of older chicks and breeds? I wouldn't hesitate at the age you are talking about.

I put 1 week olds in with a 4 week old Faverolle. Might not work with other breeds. Faverolles are very mild mannered chickens. Also, the Faverolle was a little small for her age. They have been together for 12 days now.

Also mixed 6 week old Ameraucana chicks with 1 week old Buff Orpingtons. That was in a larger space than a brooder. They all did fine. Again, all were gentle breeds and the space was 40 sq. ft. with a light at one end. They all slept together near the light even though the older birds did not really need the light.

I think some breeds would do better than others.

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it would be safe. As you have recommended, I'll just keep an eye on them.

Thanks again,

Tom

I put a wire divider between the two sets of chicks for a couple of days so that they can see each other and then take away the divider. I use dog carriers for brooders so I just put the top and bottom facing each other with the wire door separating the two sections.

Back
Top Bottom