1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe to combine different age chicks in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Monstertone, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Is is safe to put a few one week old chicks in the same brooder as 2 day old chicks?

What is the min/max age range that would be safe?

Thanks,

Tom

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think it may work...but you need to keep a very close eye on them. if you see the little ones being picked on too much..you'll have to seperate. good luck!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    yes, it is safe to put two day olds with one week olds. You can put them together up to a couple weeks...just keep an eye on them if they are past two weeks. I have had some older ones actually spread their wings and younger chicks run to them for a snuggle [​IMG] I am sure it depends on the temperament of older chicks and breeds? I wouldn't hesitate at the age you are talking about.

4. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I put 1 week olds in with a 4 week old Faverolle. Might not work with other breeds. Faverolles are very mild mannered chickens. Also, the Faverolle was a little small for her age. They have been together for 12 days now.

Also mixed 6 week old Ameraucana chicks with 1 week old Buff Orpingtons. That was in a larger space than a brooder. They all did fine. Again, all were gentle breeds and the space was 40 sq. ft. with a light at one end. They all slept together near the light even though the older birds did not really need the light.

I think some breeds would do better than others.

5. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it would be safe. As you have recommended, I'll just keep an eye on them.

Thanks again,

Tom

6. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a wire divider between the two sets of chicks for a couple of days so that they can see each other and then take away the divider. I use dog carriers for brooders so I just put the top and bottom facing each other with the wire door separating the two sections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by