1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Safe to eat eggs with Amprollum in the feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickyGal, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ChickyGal

ChickyGal In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    I used the search feature because I know this has been asked before but it didn't bring up any posts with amprollum in it.

I have a mixed batch of chick/chickens and I want to make sure the eggs are safe to eat. I can't keep the bigger hens from eating the grower feed when I feed the littler ones.
    Thanks

2. chickbea

chickbea Songster

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I had this same situation, and the whole issue didn't even cross my mind until I had already been eatin gthe eggs for several weeks. That was almost a year ago, and I appear to be none the worse for wear!

3. ChickyGal

ChickyGal In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Shirley
    -=-=-

Quote:

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I believe that it's not toxic. I remember someone, Speckledhen maybe? mentioned that there's not a withdrawl period for the medicated feed. My hens get into it too, and I've been eating their eggs for a couple of years now.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is safe to eat. There is no withdrawal time with amprolium. It is just a cocciodicant so it's safe. If you have sulfa containing feeds, then you have to wait 10 days.

You are good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: