Safe to eat tin dinnerware?

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
I would like to buy Civil War tin flatware and dinnerware and I do not know if they are safe to use for eating.

How do I clean them? Some of the flatware looked rusty and figured with a good sandpapering or scrub brush, I probably can get the rust off or a silver cleaner?

I dont want to poison anybody or give them something like tetanus for eating off the tin wares.

These will not be used for everyday eating but for the civil war reeanctments on weekends. We mostly would go once a weekend a month do to this.

So are they safe????????????

No they are not safe if they are the real things. If they are reproduction ware then yes.. by all means.

Wares from back then were made from the actual metals (zinc, tin, lead, alloys combined) and are not safe for consumption now. Sort of like Fiesta ware of the 30's-50's - you can put certain things in them but you cannot put others in them due to leaching concerns of the glaze.

Buy reproduction and use those - be safe
smile.png

I'm sorry, but I went "Huh?" when I read your title...then HAD to open it. I was wondering why anyone would want to eat tin dinnerware.

Your typo + my sleep deprivation = comical.

PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter :

not to hijack but does the irradiated dishware that glows in the dark safe to use ? My girlfriend found one and uses it has her coffee cup.

I'm assuming you're talking about Vaseline glass- and it depends on if its real or reproduction, hot or cold liquids. If Real, neither liquid - yes if reproduction depending on what is made of. Some irridecent glass (not Depression or Vaseline) can look like its glowing, but in fact its carnival glass. Either way I wouldnt drink out any of them.

If glows under a UV light, its because it is coated with an iridecent coating that contains uranium (green glow) or Manganese (pink/peach glow).

Here is some info I found for you:

There are three modes of exposure to the radiation associated with the vaseline glass:

1. Exposure to the gamma rays. While uranium emits relatively little in the way of gamma rays, some exposure is unavoidable. You can reduce it by not displaying your collection in an area where people spend a lot of time.

2. Exposure to the hands from the emitted beta particles. This is only an issue when handling the glass. You can reduce the time you or your family handle the glass.

3. Ingestion of uranium that has leached into food or drink in contact with the glass. This possibility can be eliminated by not using any vaseline glass to hold food or drink.

Finally, if you are still worried, sell the collection. Vaseline glass is beautiful stuff, but peace of mind is equally valuable.

Paul Frame, CHP, PhD

So no.. I would not personally drink from it.​

Last edited:
Oh ok thanks! Then I wont buy those tinware to feed it to my family! I will buy reproductions.

I love the look of Vaseline but didnt know it was not adviseable to eat or cook off from them. I got a couple of salt hens on display that are made of carnival glass and vaseline glass or "opal" glass.

Quote:
same thing applies unfortunately
hmm.png

if its reproduction and made by today's standards - then its okay to use - but I still wouldnt put hot liquids in even reproduction pewter ware.

Side note: In ANY repro tinware / pewter ware / cast iron that you buy (even enamel ware) make sure you check where its made. You dont want "Made in China" as they're metal standards are not what ours are.

Best bet if you want metal wares is to look for quality repro U.S. makers. They are out there. Do a search online. There is one store that eludes me at the moment that makes all their own enamel ware and whatnot and has been doing so for ages.

Back
Top Bottom