Safe to turn them out? South Thurston County, Washington State

Woodsman Rick

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
We have three 5-6 week old Welsummer Chicks. They have been indoors transitioning the heat downward until finally off.
Weather has been cooler than usual here, but seems as though we're warming now to low temperatures that will be in the 40's.
We had the chicks out today in our separate covered yard with mini-coop. They were very happy to have so much room to exercise and explre and the ability to experience the sunshine.

They are fully feathered and I would like to know if it is safe to have them outdoors in the separate covered yard with mini-coop.

Anyone near here that has new chick that has better knowledge than I do with our weather situation and 5-6 week old chicks?
I would really appreciate your opinion on the matter. Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you!
I posted an image in another post just a couple minutes ago as I'm a bit confused on what we have...

I am in SD, and we have had a cool to cold and windy spring. I think the fresh air and space is more important than the heat. By two weeks, I am weaning mine off heat.

So yours are more than ready to take on those temperatures if they can get out of the wind. Wind protection in the run is pretty important. I start mine outside in the wind break, and they figure it out pretty quick.

Often times, I do what you did, put them out for a couple of hours, back in, next day repeat but out for a longer period, take them in, but by the third day they don't want to go back in.

Mrs K

I am in SD, and we have had a cool to cold and windy spring. I think the fresh air and space is more important than the heat. By two weeks, I am weaning mine off heat.

So yours are more than ready to take on those temperatures if they can get out of the wind. Wind protection in the run is pretty important. I start mine outside in the wind break, and they figure it out pretty quick.

Often times, I do what you did, put them out for a couple of hours, back in, next day repeat but out for a longer period, take them in, but by the third day they don't want to go back in.

Mrs K
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom