Safe to walk my ducks and let them roam around the park?

I would say absolutely not. Aside from the bio hazard risk, you cannot control what other people and animals are doing. Your duck harness won't stop a stray dog. Create a safe place on your property and keep your ducks home.
Thank you.

My mother had built them their pen and play area and when they want they can always play in the backyard, along with playing anywhere inside. (House is baby proof and animal proof) Family has a big garden in the back which they love to eat in. (All safe plants for ducks)

Thank you for your concern :)

Ah, but it wouldn’t just be me watching my ducks. I call them my ducks but each duckling is owned by one of my other family members. I just watch and take care of all their needs. There will always be 13 of us watching the ducks.

The park area we go to rarely has dogs, because dogs must be on a leash inside the pen area. They are not allowed outside of that play area for them and I so the walkways. My family and I walk 20mins once we get to the park just to get to our sanctuary where we like to cook and hang out. Most people don’t know that area of the park since it’s not on the main “park” we go more towards the abandoned part. I would never put my ducks in harms way. They love when we catch live fish and feed it to them. They love being part of our family where ever we are.

I do spoil them, and hate for them not to be part of the fun so that’s something I will need to fix.
i think it will be fine. my ducks are much happier when they get to be with us vs stuck in our (large) backyard all day. as long as they are safe they will love being able to explore ❤️

I'm with @Northwest_Wannabe in everything. I would absolutely not take your ducks with you. I'm sure it would be fun but it is not safe, in my opinion.

You can't control if someone decides to bring a dog off leash in the area where your ducks are. How will you feel if your duck is killed?

Wild waterfowl do spread diseases. I know this from experience. My ducks have gotten internal, and external parasites as well as infectious bronchitis from wild mallards. My ducks suffer, it hurts me to see them suffer, and I spend crazy amounts on their veterinary bills to help them. My avian veterinarian has advised me not to take my ducks to our own pond where wild ducks visit.

What I would do is build a large aviary for your ducks at home. My own ducks have a 30x30ft aviary for 3 ducks. I would also take them on daily supervised walks in your yard. This will give them a safe enriched environment. You can teach them a recall by always giving them a treat when they come.

The choice is yours. What are you willing to accept?
Thank you for taking your time to answer!

I will consult this with my mother, she’s raised animals of all sorts.

I never want to see an animal sick so I probably won’t take them out. I don’t want them to go through that hardship. I’m also sorry that you’ve had to go through that!

My backyard is plenty big for them, they haven’t even explored half of it. I’m also thinking of building a bigger ground pool for them so I hope that would make them happy.

They like to be wherever my family is, but I don’t want to risk them getting sick even if I have the money to pay for the vet it won’t always guarantee that they will make it.

I myself will have to teach myself to be more strict. :)

Thank you for your concern :)

Ah, but it wouldn’t just be me watching my ducks. I call them my ducks but each duckling is owned by one of my other family members. I just watch and take care of all their needs. There will always be 13 of us watching the ducks.

The park area we go to rarely has dogs, because dogs must be on a leash inside the pen area. They are not allowed outside of that play area for them and I so the walkways. My family and I walk 20mins once we get to the park just to get to our sanctuary where we like to cook and hang out. Most people don’t know that area of the park since it’s not on the main “park” we go more towards the abandoned part. I would never put my ducks in harms way. They love when we catch live fish and feed it to them. They love being part of our family where ever we are.

I do spoil them, and hate for them not to be part of the fun so that’s something I will need to fix.
I just don't think it's safe. You can do whatever you want, I'm not your mom, I'm not in charge of you, but I wouldn't ever put my animals in risk like that personally, I do like what KaleIAm said though, maybe make them a nice sanctuary at home where it's safe as opposed to taking them somewhere with you where you can't control every element.

Back
Top Bottom