1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

safe way to get rid of flies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by singerforyahweh, Nov 3, 2010.

1. singerforyahweh

singerforyahweh New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    We have several chickens in our back yard, and several million flies. Is there any way to safely repel them without harming the chickens? Thanks.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Not really. Try to keep poo up, and everything clean and dry. That's about the best you can do without getting into chemical means of control. Of course, you could go that route.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    At the risk of sounding like an idiot. I tried the vanilla tree things and it worked. I was extremely skeptical but it did. You can search it to find the info.
    sharon

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    muscovys!

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Despite what folks say, food grade DE with the deep litter method in the coop works for me. The reason I believe, is because it dries the poop up fast and the flies are no longer attracted. I went from fighting them off, to hardly ever seeing one, and I only clean it twice a year. Once in the Spring and once just before Winter. If it's all over your back yard, then that's another story. Just try to keep the poop cleaned up as much as possible I guess.

6. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I strung up 8 vanilla leaf car fresheners around my chicken coop and I literally could see all the flies laughing at me. Didn't stop them a bit. I don't know the answer as the only thing that got rid of mine was fall rain.....I did try the bag type fly trap which caught about 1000 flies, but they just kept coming. Don't get the Billy Maes as-seen-on-TV one. That one caught a whopping total of one fly. The raid bag traps are the ticket.

7. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    At tsc, they have 'fly catchers.' Not really sure what they're called but they're dome shaped or you can turn an old milk jug into one also. They let the flies in and they don't escape - works great! I think I paid maybe four to five dollars for mine. I just set it outside the run door. Even when I free range them they don't bother with it.

8. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    I use the vanilla tree car air fresheners. They work!

9. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    We are under attack from fly swarms. Every year in the fall they come looking for a place to stay warm = our house. This began before the chickens arrived. Do you live near a cow farm, cause that can do it!

10. myminicooper

myminicooper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    I tried the vanilla trees and it did seem to work, but the scent doesn't last long so I had to replace them constantly. Plus it seems like you have to use quite a few, and the smell of chicken poo and vanilla is not very appealing. I just went with the little bag traps, which are extremely nasty to dispose of but seem to work fairly well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by