Safe weed control in chicken yard questions

LakeGooseBerry

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Hi Everyone,
I have done everything I can to grow grass and other green edibles in my chicken yard. Unfortunately, there are non-edible (or at least undesirable) weeds that are overtaking the grass.
Does anyone know if there is a weed killer that is selective for broadleaf weeds but safe for chickens and grass?

Okay, to clarify....My chicken space is limited, about 35 by 35 feet -ish (maybe more). My flock fluctuates between about 9 to 14 chickens so they very quickly destroy anything I put down.
I built frames that sit about 4 inches off the ground with hardware mesh laying over the top. It has spaces that allow the grass to grow through but the chickens cannot scratch the roots to death. It has been great and they always have lots of greens. This year however the common mallow has taken over and the chickens won't touch that stuff. The mesh makes it impossible for me to pull those weeds out. 4954BBAC-6792-42FA-9E1A-32C60D70AB41.jpeg 7270341F-409D-4155-8A17-C582E6B75E3E.jpeg 2D674119-D908-4178-9746-54F188C103BC.jpeg

Last edited:
The short answer is that no. there isn't. Mow it, or pull them, and add deep bedding, as wood chips, shavings, weeds, grass clippings (untreated!) and let them make mulch out of it all. I'd only want to get any toxic weeds out of there, and realize that tasty plants won't make it in a run with chickens!
Enjoy the plant diversity!
You could rotate run space, if you have the room and inclination, so one section can grow, another section can be grazed, and the wiped out section can be mowed.
Mary

Chicken are a natural herbicide. Be thankful something is growing in their run?

That’s what I was thinking! My first reaction when I have a weedy patch is “get some chickens on that!”

The poster is in GA, and I’m in RI...so quite possible they have a level of weeds I can’t even fathom up here. :)

Back
Top Bottom