Safe?

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
I am going to add one more layer to my run. I currently have put 1/2” bird netting stapled to the top. On top of that I have 1” plastic fencing stapled and twist tied to the netting. I am thinking of adding a layer of wire chicken netting (the larger circles) on top of that. My reasons for not using 1/4 inch hardware cloth from the beginning are as follows:
1. The cost to cover 8’ x 24’ would be a couple hundred dollars.
2. The availability is inconsistent and I already had the fencing.
3. I was hoping to not add a lot of weight to the top to lessen the burden of a heavy snowfall.
4. I was going for a more light, airy feel, rather than a boxed in cage feeling.
I love hearing everyone’s ideas so, what are people’s thoughts?

Sorry, I keep forgetting to include the pictures.
DFDFD939-46EB-4E5A-97EF-03E3F067F342.jpeg

F3422D7E-4208-4BD9-A453-92733C08893B.jpeg

I'm also wondering what kinds of predators you deal with. That would not be enough where I live, but it might be ok for you.

Hmm I think I just realized... is the netting both the walls and the top of the run, or just the top? I'd feel "safe enough" with it being just the top as long as birds are locked up at night but definitely not the walls. I'd absolutely want some sort of sturdy wire fencing in place for at least the walls.

Hmm I think I just realized... is the netting both the walls and the top of the run, or just the top? I'd feel "safe enough" with it being just the top as long as birds are locked up at night but definitely not the walls. I'd absolutely want some sort of sturdy wire fencing in place for at least the walls.
I have to have more secure roofing because of all kinds of critters, and because of where my coop is. It's super easy for predators to climb onto the roof, so I have welded wire. Hardware cloth would be very expensive, and I HATE working with it. If I had weasels, etc. it wouldn't be enough because the openings are too big. My problems are foxes, coyote, bobcat, so welded wire works. The electric netting takes care of most of them, but I still think it's too easy to get onto the run if they're determined.

I have 1/2” hardware cloth from the bottom to the top of the run and a two foot apron around the base. I feel pretty secure around the sides. I already have the 1/2” netting and the plastic fencing attached. I plan to attach a third layer of the larger wire poultry netting on top of that.
You are correct about the snow. When we covered our other pen with netting, I was out tapping it off regularly. The weight of the snow would cause the netting to sag and rip. I am hoping with the studier plastic fencing on top, I won’t have as much a sagging problem. The added wire on top of that would have larger holes for better snow melt plus add even more stability. I hope to let them out into their run as much as possible this winter, so I hope this works. I will definitely have my broom handy.

I have 1/2” hardware cloth from the bottom to the top of the run and a two foot apron around the base. I feel pretty secure around the sides. I already have the 1/2” netting and the plastic fencing attached. I plan to attach a third layer of the larger wire poultry netting on top of that.
You are correct about the snow. When we covered our other pen with netting, I was out tapping it off regularly. The weight of the snow would cause the netting to sag and rip. I am hoping with the studier plastic fencing on top, I won’t have as much a sagging problem. The added wire on top of that would have larger holes for better snow melt plus add even more stability. I hope to let them out into their run as much as possible this winter, so I hope this works. I will definitely have my broom handy.

Thanks for clarifying!

As far as the snow, you'll have your answer for sure once it actually snows. If the materials can't hold up to the snow weight, or the combination of hole sizes causes it to just clump up, well... guess that's something to improve upon next spring. Hopefully if you stay on top of it it'll hold up.

I have to have more secure roofing because of all kinds of critters, and because of where my coop is. It's super easy for predators to climb onto the roof, so I have welded wire. Hardware cloth would be very expensive, and I HATE working with it. If I had weasels, etc. it wouldn't be enough because the openings are too big. My problems are foxes, coyote, bobcat, so welded wire works. The electric netting takes care of most of them, but I still think it's too easy to get onto the run if they're determined.
We mostly have raccoons, weasels, fishers, foxes, and an occasional bear. I do worry about something climbing on top.The first 1/2” netting is to keep the other birds and smaller creatures out. The second plastic fencing layer Is to make it more difficult to rip open the first layer and add stability to the netting. My proposed third layer will be wire poultry netting. The welded wire would be nice, but I think it would be heavy and more expensive.
My birds do get closed up at night, but we are away from the house during the day, so I need something relatively secure when I am not home in the winter months when it starts getting dark earlier.

Thanks for clarifying!

As far as the snow, you'll have your answer for sure once it actually snows. If the materials can't hold up to the snow weight, or the combination of hole sizes causes it to just clump up, well... guess that's something to improve upon next spring. Hopefully if you stay on top of it it'll hold up.
Yes, it will definitely be trial and error. Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom