Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Sep 22, 2014.

1. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I didn't see alot of trees so you think the turkeys pass them onto your land? i have all kinds of birds here but none are game type bird just migrating birds as well as jays,mocking birds, crows, hawks and all kinds of water type birds try to stop in for a visit, has a Rosetta's spoonbill come in last week, almost died when i thought i had a pink flamingo on the pond till it turned it's head where i could see the bill.

It is sad that you have to deal with this all the time , i know it has to be so stressful [​IMG] wished there was a way to make it stop.
    what kind of winters do you have there? snow?

1 person likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    IMNSHO, the lesson to be learned here is that 3cc's Safeguard per gallon for 3 days is not likely to do Jack for roundworms, much less cecal worms or capillary worms. I mean no offense to those of you that do it, but the picture and post is proof positive to me that one should not rely on it.

Many thanks to KsKingBee for sharing this story... Hopefully his loss will prevent others from losing any of their birds.

Does anyone know where the 3cc gallon suggestion came from?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    There are some similar necropsy pictures of someone that was using ivermectin to worm... Need to find those or folks to see.

-Kathy

4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    Makara, Wellington, NZ
    This is the earliest mention of 3cc/gallon I see on BYC, and this person attributes it to Deerman:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...feeling-well-but-no-outward-signs-of-sickness

and here is Deerman saying the same:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ive-clear-watery-poo-new-symptom#post_1535479

*earlier mention on UPA forum:
    http://www.upaforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=313&sid=3df36dd954e5fb240f54014aace2835b

*10 years ago for ducks:
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=59627

I guess this has been the "standard" for a while...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You sure can drive the searching tool, lol. Interesting... very old posts with *tons* of misinformation. Thanks for finding those.

-Kathy

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

One ml Safeguard orally per adult..... Snicker.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One ml is what I would give some of my three month olds!

-Kathy

8. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014

3 people like this.
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, excellent post! Thanks for doing that, now I don't have to, lol.

-Kathy

10. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Five cc's in a gallon isn't likely to be very effective either. Think about it... If you were going to give it orally, how much would you give per bird? Let's pretend you have 5 hens, all about 4kg. If you were to dose them at 50mg/kg, which is what I do, you would need to put 10ml in an amount of water that they will drink in one day. Will five hens drink a gallon in one day? I honestly don't know.

-kathy[/quote

Didn't someone say they used more Safeguard then 5 cc in water? How much would I use if 5 cc isn't enough? I worm for 3 days and repeat in 10 to 14 days. Thanks much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by