Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Okay, Kathy I hope this is okay...I made an article on my site using all the new Safeguard treatment info for reference. I gave you credit of course for all of the info. If you don't want it on my site that is okay I and put it in one of my personal peafowl info powerpoints. If there is anything else I should add let me know.
smile.png

http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Safeguard_Worming_Reference.html
It looks great, but there are a couple of things that might be good to add. I need a little time to figure it out, but when I do I'll let your know. Just basic stuff like the disclaimer that I'm not a vet and that one should consult with a vet.

-Kathy

I thought this study was interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6868306/?i=5&from=/6743169/related
Efficacy of fenbendazole against nematodes of captive birds.

Authors

Lawrence K.
Journal

Vet Rec. 1983 Apr 30;112(18):433-4.
Affiliation
Abstract

Fenbendazole was used to treat nematode infestations (Ascaridia species and Capillaria species) in 230 birds of six orders and 38 different species. Using a single dose of 100 mg/kg bodyweight initial treatment eliminated parasitic nematodes from 221 birds. A further course of treatment at a dose rate of 30 mg/kg daily for seven days eliminated the infestation from the remaining nine birds.

-Kathy

7 days
ep.gif

ep.gif
I could not afford to do my entire flocks for 7 days that would be more than my feed bill for a month or more
ep.gif

I would have to run a sale on birds
hide.gif

Well, I'm doing what I've done for 7 years that's worked 100% for me. Mixing a little under 5cc (one teaspoon) Ivermectin (generic) to a gallon of water. They will drink it for 3 days and I'll repeat in 10 to 14 days. 6 months from now I'll use Safe Guard Wormer. I'll put Probiotics in there water after each worming. I don't always do that but know it's good for them. My birds are healthy and gorgeous. They get Purina Game Bird Feed, C&S Farmers Helper UltraKibble and lots of other good food, human and for birds. They have LOTS of room in the aviaries with over a 150 feet of log roosts. Some free range. My peafowl are happy and tame with personalities easily recognized being I spend so much time out there keeping everything fairly clean and in order. NOW, with that said if anyone lives close to me..................HELP!!!!!!!! LOL, I really need to find good homes for some of my flock but how do you give up birds that are bonafide pets. I will but only to GOOD CARING HOMES. Anyone? (o:

Okay everyone, thanks for your replies! I understand what you all are saying now. Even if 3cc's work for me, it doesn't mean that it is really working and the peafowl can still live with worms but could eventually die from it. Besides I don't bring many new birds into my stock but I do plan on getting new peafowl eventually, and it would be devastating if new peafowl brought some tougher worms to my birds that could kill my birds, so I will definitely feel good now about treating with a larger dose. I have some canned catfood and I might try adding that in the mash for some days to get the peas to keep eating it. Hopefully that will be appealing to them. Tomorrow I should go get some mash for them and I will try and start up day 1 of their treatment tomorrow as well.
---------------
@bdfive
 - I think you need to show some photos of your setup! My ideal setup that I want someday is to have rows of pens, but behind them there would be a very huge aviary that each pen would have a door to so that for say the winter I could let all of the peafowl into the large aviary or during the breeding season I could let each pen have a turn at getting access to the large aviary...For example one week the pied peafowl pen would have access to the large aviary, then the next week the India Blues will have access to the large aviary and the pieds won't. Some of my inspiration for that comes from zoos. In particular I like what the Big Cat Rescue has done for their large cats giving them a "vacation rotation enclosure" - which is a giant fenced off area with oak trees, a pond, climbing structures, etc. Lots of space for the cats to run and play. I want something like that for peafowl!

Not sure how to post pictures but I'll try. What I have where taken while work was being done. I need to take better ones. My 5 pens open out to a big courtyard aviary that is roughly about 1,500 square feel to I can rotate them using the large space and sometimes I open the courtyard door and let them free range. Many of them will still come back in their habitat to hang out part of the day and rest can be led in with treats. I've been working on an area digging, pulling out rocks and adding sand, soft dirt, DE, etc; where they can take dirt bathes. They are using it now daily..........makes me so happy.

HOW DO I POST PICTURES? I'M LOOKING AROUND AND DON'T SEE ANYTHING TO CLICK ON?

Not sure how to post pictures but I'll try. What I have where taken while work was being done. I need to take better ones. My 5 pens open out to a big courtyard aviary that is roughly about 1,500 square feel to I can rotate them using the large space and sometimes I open the courtyard door and let them free range. Many of them will still come back in their habitat to hang out part of the day and rest can be led in with treats. I've been working on an area digging, pulling out rocks and adding sand, soft dirt, DE, etc; where they can take dirt bathes. They are using it now daily..........makes me so happy.

HOW DO I POST PICTURES? I'M LOOKING AROUND AND DON'T SEE ANYTHING TO CLICK ON?

Meant to type 1,500 square feet so I can rotate them.

Glad ivermectin works for some, but studies show that one should not rely on it. For those that use it, do you have fecal floats done before and after treatment or are you just assuming that it works because your birds don't get sick?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
"Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

PMID: 2816174 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

Ascaridia spp = Roundworm
Heterakis spp = Cecal worm
Capillaria spp = Capillary worm

-Kathy

Well, I'm doing what I've done for 7 years that's worked 100% for me. Mixing a little under 5cc (one teaspoon) Ivermectin (generic) to a gallon of water. They will drink it for 3 days and I'll repeat in 10 to 14 days. 6 months from now I'll use Safe Guard Wormer. I'll put Probiotics in there water after each worming. I don't always do that but know it's good for them. My birds are healthy and gorgeous. They get Purina Game Bird Feed, C&S Farmers Helper UltraKibble and lots of other good food, human and for birds. They have LOTS of room in the aviaries with over a 150 feet of log roosts. Some free range. My peafowl are happy and tame with personalities easily recognized being I spend so much time out there keeping everything fairly clean and in order. NOW, with that said if anyone lives close to me..................HELP!!!!!!!! LOL, I really need to find good homes for some of my flock but how do you give up birds that are bonafide pets. I will but only to GOOD CARING HOMES. Anyone? (o:
Question what kind of ivemec are you using, in the water? like injectable or the pour on kind?
You need to post some photos of your pretties in the show off your peas section and pens too never seen a 150 foot log roost
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom