Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Well, I'm doing what I've done for 7 years that's worked 100% for me. Mixing a little under 5cc (one teaspoon) Ivermectin (generic) to a gallon of water. They will drink it for 3 days and I'll repeat in 10 to 14 days. 6 months from now I'll use Safe Guard Wormer.

That is what I was doing and it was 100% ineffectual, and lead to a lot of deaths and expense. Not following the scientific data and giving a miniscule amounts of the drug is a recipe for disaster. If you are not having problems I am happy for you but I see it as dumb luck. Promoting a dosing procedure that can not be backed up with clinical research is not helping folks that do not know better and will ultimately cause them a lot of grief.

Question what kind of ivemec are you using, in the water? like injectable or the pour on kind?
You need to post some photos of your pretties in the show off your peas section and pens too never seen a 150 foot log roost :eek:

Zazouse, I'm using Noromectin, 1% Sterile Solution for cattle and swine. I pour it back and forth into a bucket a couple times a day to keep it stirred up good. I rotate so will use Safe-Guard in 6 months, also in water.

Zazouse, I'm using Noromectin, 1% Sterile Solution for cattle and swine. I pour it back and forth into a bucket a couple times a day to keep it stirred up good. I rotate so will use Safe-Guard in 6 months, also in water.

NO, NO! not one roost 150 feet long. Longest is 22 feet. All of them together adds up to the 150 feet.

Question what kind of ivemec are you using, in the water? like injectable or the pour on kind?
You need to post some photos of your pretties in the show off your peas section and pens too never seen a 150 foot log roost :eek:

How many mg of each medicine do you think each bird gets when you put it in the water?

Ivermectin - 1ml of 1% solution has 10mg.
Safeguard - 1ml of 10% solution has 100mg.

-Kathy

Do you use the ivermc prior to winter or summer, is the Noromectin oil base or alcohol base
This is what i use here

How many mg of each medicine do you think each bird gets when you put it in the water?

Ivermectin - 1ml of 1% solution has 10mg.
Safeguard - 1ml of 10% solution has 100mg.

-Kathy

Big difference, isn't it Kathy? Maybe they get too much with Safeguard instead of Ivermectin giving them too little. The wormer's are totally different.

Instructions on Ivermectin says: 1 mL per 110 lb body weight for cattle and 1 mL per 75 lb body weight for swine.

Safe-guard says: 2.3 mL per 100 lb of body weight.

Kathy, I appreciate you trying to drum the information into me backed up by science. I have to worm using water.......no way around that. What amount of Safeguard works in water, for how long and when do I repeat? Would the same be true for Valbazen Wormer? I prefer to rotate wormers so using others that will work with water is fine.

Putting an amount in water might work if you know how much that group of birds drinks in one day and how much they weigh as a group.

The instructions on the ivermectin bottle are for cattle, but birds get the same amount per kg, which is 0.2mg/kg.

The instructions on the Safeguard bottle are for goats, cows and sheep, not birds, birds get 10x according to studies I have read, my vet and KsKingBee's vet. Make sense?

-Kathy

Bdfive, let's say you have only five large peahens in a cage and that they're easy to catch. How much Safeguard would you give them orally? How much invermectin would you give?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom