Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Bdfive, let's say you have only five large peahens in a cage and that they're easy to catch. How much Safeguard would you give them orally? How much invermectin would you give?

-Kathy

The following I copied years ago. I've made notes on my copy regarding dosages, etc; I've read on backyardchickens, other forums and internet. Lots of different opinions but know several people that have dosed using water and have had no problems with worms. ~bdfive

Peafowl Medications
Craig Hopkins

The following information has been gathered over many years of raising peafowl. Use this information with the understanding that most of these medications are not labeled for use on peafowl. This information is provided as a resource for treating peafowl with different kinds of ailments. Wormers: To break the life cycle of the parasites, repeat the worming process in 10 days.

Ivermectin for cattle (brown box). Ivermectin will kill all internal and any blood sucking parasite.

½ cc (bird over 1 year) given as shot under the skin or as drench down the throat.

2/10 cc (bird under 1 year) as an injection under the skin or as a drench.

3 cc per gallon of drinking water.

¼ cc (bird over 1 year) given as an injection under the skin in the scruff of the neck between the shoulder blades.

Tramisol drench for sheep (a 13 gm. packet). Tramisol will kill most all of the internal parasites.

Mix one packet of Tramisol in one quart of water.

Mix 1oz. (2 tablespoons) of this solution per gallon of drinking water.

Levasole for hogs (a 500 ml plastic bottle). Levasole will kill most all of the internal parasites.

Fill the plastic bottle of Levasole with water and shake up thoroughly.

Mix 1 teaspoon of this solution per gallon of drinking water.

If you don’t want to use the entire bottle of wormer at one time, follow these directions.

Mix ¼ teaspoon of the powder from the bottle per gallon of drinking water.

Levasole drench for cattle and sheep (52 gm. packet). Levasole is very effective wormer.

Mix 1, packet of Levasole with one gallon of drinking water.

Mix 1 oz. (2 tablespoons) of this solution per gallon of drinking water.

Panacur (Fenbendazole) Horse and cattle dewormer. Suspension 10%. 100mg/mL

3 cc per gallon of drinking water for 2 or 3 days.

1 cc (bird over 1 year) as a drench down the throat for 3 days.

½ cc (bird between 3 mo. and 1 year) as drench down the throat for 3 days.

Safe-Guard Cattle Drench (Fenbendazole) Suspension 10%. 100mg/mL. 1000 mL.

3 cc per gallon of drinking water for 2 or 3 days. Can repeat again in 10 days.

Antibiotics:

Tylan 200 for cattle. Tylan 200 has proven to be an excellent antibiotic for peafowl.

Tylan 200 is especially affective for treating peafowl with swollen eye sinuses.

Tylan 200 is an intramuscular injection.

1-2 cc as a shot in the leg or the breast muscle for birds over 1 year old.

½-1 cc as a shot in the leg or the breast muscle for birds under 1 year old.

Tylan powder (100 g): Tylan powder is a good antibiotic for respiratory illnesses in peafowl.

Mix 1 ½ teaspoons of Tylan powder into 1 gallon of water and mix thoroughly.

Mix this solution with 5 gallons of drinking water.

Baytril Baytril is especially affective for treating peafowl with swollen eye sinuses.

Baytril is available in tablets, liquid, and injectable form.

Tablets: 5.7 mg, 22.7mg, or 68 mg concentration. Desired dose is 32.3 mg/mL.

Crush 2, 22.7 mg tablets per quart of drinking water. Medicate birds for 3 days.

Crush 3, 68 mg tablets per gallon of drinking water.

or

Administer 1, 22.7 mg tablet orally to each adult bird for 3 days.

Liquid: Concentration is 32.3 mg/mL. Desired dose is 50 ppm.

Mix 1 oz. per 5 gallons of drinking water. Medicate birds for 3 days.

Mix 6 cc per 1 gallon of drinking water. Medicate birds for 3 days.

Injectable: Baytril is an intramuscular injection. Concentration is 22.7 mg/mL.

Desired dose is 1.13 mg/lb = 0.05 cc/lb.

Adult peafowl (1+ year): Give 1/2 cc injection in the leg or breast muscle.

Peachicks: Give injection based on body weight of peachick in the leg or breast muscle.

Corid. Corid is used to treat coccidiosis in peafowl.

Mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water. Medicate birds 4 to 5 days.

Sulmet powder: Sulmet is used to treat coccidiosis in peafowl.

Mix 2 tablespoons per gallon of drinking water. Medicate first 2 days with this dosage.

Mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of drinking water. Medicate for 4 additional days with this dosage.

NFZ puffer for cattle. This product is good for eye problems in peafowl.

“Puff “directly into the eye with the eyelids held open.

Flagel Flagel is used to treat Blackhead in peafowl.

Flagel has to be prescribed by a veterinarian.

Aureomycin soluble powder. Chlortetracycline. Treats respiratory diseases and Infectious Synovitis.

Peafowl over 1 year: Mix 2 measuring teaspoons/gal. drinking water. Medicate 7 to 14 days.

Peachicks over 6 months: Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons/gal. drinking water. Medicate 7 to 14 days.

Peachicks under 6 months: Mix ½ to 1 teaspoon/gal. drinking water. Medicate 7 to 14 days.

Sigh... I was afraid that site was going to be mentioned. I mean no disrespect to Hopkins, but there are some serious issues with the data there.

-Kathy

th.gif
Anecdotal is as good as hearsay.
he.gif

In the bee world we have mites in our hives that have been the cause of a lot of hives dying. Most of the problems when treating with chemicals have been improper dosing and not using as called for on the label. When a drug is only 98% effective because of improper usage that makes 2% resistant to the drug. That 2% multiplies over and over again making the drug, even when used correctly, ineffective. How long are our wormers going to work when the dosages are not strong enough to kill 100% and the parasites start becoming resistant?

The same correlation can be made about antibiotics. When are people going to learn?
barnie.gif

The following I copied years ago. I've made notes on my copy regarding dosages, etc; I've read on backyardchickens, other forums and internet. Lots of different opinions but know several people that have dosed using water and have had no problems with worms. ~bdfive

Peafowl Medications
Craig Hopkins
............................stuff deleted....................................

Injectable: Baytril is an intramuscular injection. Concentration is 22.7 mg/mL.

Desired dose is 1.13 mg/lb = 0.05 cc/lb.

Adult peafowl (1+ year): Give 1/2 cc injection in the leg or breast muscle.
Baytril or enrofloxacin is available in 2.27%, 5% and 10%. Most of us buy the 10%, but some places, like Twin City Poultry sell the 2.27%. When giving Baytril or enrofloxacin, one must know which medication they have and how much their bird weighs. This is a powerful drug and it should be given by weight orally or by injection.

Bayer, the makers of Baytril list the dose on their website as 10mg/kg, so using that number the doses are as follows:

22.7 mg/ml (2.27%)
Large peacock (6kg) - 2.64ml
Large peahen (4kg) - 1.76ml

100 mg/ml (10%)
Large peacock (6kg) - 0.6ml
Large peahen (4kg) - 0.4ml

I don't want to complicate this, but my vets have told me to use Baytril a few different ways.
  • 10mg/kg twice a day
  • 15mg/kg once a day
  • 20mg/kg once a day

I think that Hopkins took the dosing directions for cats, which is 5mg/kg once a day or 2.5mg/kg twice a day. The 0.05ml per pound on their website is 2.5mg/kg when it should be no less than 10mg/kg.

From the Bayer/Baytril/Poultry Page

"Anti-infective agent for the therapy of infectious diseases
in poultry caused by gram-negative and gram-positive
bacteria as well as Mycoplasma.

1 ml contains 100 mg Enrofloxacin
Indications:
Due to its extensive spectrum of activity, Baytril
can be used in single and mixed infections of bacterial
origin as well as against mycoplasmosis, where clinical
experience, supported when possible by sensitivity testing
indicates enrofloxacin as the drug of choice.
The product is of particular value against:
All forms of mycoplasmosis and mixed infections of
Mycoplasma and bacteria, e.g. CRD, colisepticaemia,
pasteurellosis (Cholera), Coryza contagiosa (Haemophilus),
Salmonella gallinarum and other salmonelloses.
Dosage:
10 mg/kg b.w.
Method and Duration of Administration:
For administration
via the drinking water. Treat for at least three days.
Salmonellosis: Treat for 5-10 days.
Packings:
Plastic bottles of 100 ml, 1000 ml and 5 Liters"
http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/fileadmin/media/baytril/pdf_food/Baycox_Einleger.pdf

-Kathy

Edited to add pictures:
LL

edited to add Bdfive's portion is a copy and paste from another website, it is not their recommendation.

Last edited:
Peafowl Medications
Craig Hopkins
............................stuff deleted....................................
Administer 1, 22.7 mg tablet orally to each adult bird for 3 days.
According to Bayer, veterinary literature I have seen and what my vets have prescribed, adult birds would get no less than:
  • Large peacock (6kg) - 60mg or 2 & 3/4 of the 22.7mg tablets
  • Large peahen (4kg) - 40mg or 1 & 3/4 of the 22.7mg tablets

-Kathy

edited to add Bdfive's portion is a copy and paste from another website, it is not their recommendation.

Last edited:
According to Bayer, veterinary literature I have seen and what my vets have prescribed, adult birds would get no less than:
  • Large peacock (6kg) - 60mg or 2 & 3/4 of the 22.7mg tablets
  • Large peahen (4kg) -  40mg or 1 & 3/4 of the 22.7mg tablets

-Kathy

Kathy, QUIT IT!!!! I used copy and paste to put what is posted on Craig Hopkins website. You are taking portions of it leading people to believe the reccommendations are mine. Enough is enough!!

Again, no offense to the person(s) that created the list, but I have seen it referred to so many times now and I strongly believe that some things should be changed. How many people have wormed per those instructions and lost birds? KsKingBee sure did, let's not forget that! I know many of you have been worming this way for years without any problems, but I can guarantee you that many of you have also had sick and/or dead birds from following the info there.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Just to be clear, from this post forward please note that any reference to post #191 is just a reference to info that @bdfive copied.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom