Safeguard Liquid for Worming

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
The local farm stores were out of Safeguard paste for goats (which can be used to worm chickens) so I purchased a bottle of liquid Safeguard wormer for goats.
Can someone please tell me how much to put in a gallon of water for chickens? How many days do I put it in front of them?
I know that the withdrawal time for eggs is 14 days.

The suspension is 10%
100 mg/mL

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the Equine/horse paste dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally to each chicken. Repeat in 10 days to treat only round worms. Or give it for 5 straight days to get most all chicken worms. Neither is water soluble, and will settle out.

To make dosing easier, I cut bread into cubes and inject the wormer into each cube. Let each chicken eat a cube of bread. Recently had roundworms, so with some flighty girls, it was a painless way of dosing without having to chase them around to catch them. I also has to cut a bunch of decoy cubes.

To make dosing easier, I cut bread into cubes and inject the wormer into each cube. Let each chicken eat a cube of bread. Recently had roundworms, so with some flighty girls, it was a painless way of dosing without having to chase them around to catch them. I also has to cut a bunch of decoy cubes.
How much warmer did you put on the small piece of bread for the one chicken

How much warmer did you put on the small piece of bread for the one chicken
How much is determined by how much the bird weighs. .25ml per pound of bird weight. A inexpensive digital kitchen scale is good for getting weights. So a 4 lb bird would get 1 ml, a 6 lb bird would get 1.5 ml, etc. If you do it on bread you have to make sure they get the whole dose, under dosing is not good, it can lead to medication resistant parasites. I prefer to do it directly to each bird with an oral syringe.

How much is determined by how much the bird weighs. .25ml per pound of bird weight. A inexpensive digital kitchen scale is good for getting weights. So a 4 lb bird would get 1 ml, a 6 lb bird would get 1.5 ml, etc. If you do it on bread you have to make sure they get the whole dose, under dosing is not good, it can lead to medication resistant parasites. I prefer to do it directly to each bird with an oral syringe.
Do you have to repeat the wormer in 7-10 days? Do you have to withhold the eggs for 10 days?

I bought a syringe that had the measurements for 1 ml, and injected each little cube of bread. All my 11 girls are around the same size/weight, so I put just about 1.25 ml each. Make sure you shake the bottle vigorously. Yes, repeat in 10 days. No egg withdrawal time.

Do you have to repeat the wormer in 7-10 days? Do you have to withhold the eggs for 10 days?
Safeguard dosing for roundworm only is two doses 10 days apart. If you are treating for some other types then it's a dose 5 days in a row, and then no repeat. Recommended withdrawl for eggs is 10-14 days after dose, many people ignore that and use the eggs, do what you are comfortable with.

Safeguard dosing for roundworm only is two doses 10 days apart. If you are treating for some other types then it's a dose 5 days in a row, and then no repeat. Recommended withdrawl for eggs is 10-14 days after dose, many people ignore that and use the eggs, do what you are comfortable with.
What if I’m just warming them I have never seen any worms they’re just not gaining weight can I just do it once and then once again in 10 days just as a regular warming treatment

Back
Top Bottom