casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
If I use valbazen can the eggs be eaten? I've read that safeguard for goats you have to toss the eggs for 24 days or something like that or could you feed them back to the chickens?
Valbazen would require withdrawal if that sort of thing worries you, so would Safeguard if you use *any* of the doses mentioned in your thread.

However, if you were to use a very small dose of Safeguard 5 days in a row you would not need to toss the eggs. Safeguard in small doses for 5 days in a row is approved for use in laying hens.
safe-guard-goat-dewormer-(125ml).jpg
safeguard.jpg

The approved dose is 1 mg/kg for five days and that works out to ~0.023 ml per five pounds for five days.

If you don't want to hassle treating each bird you could try feeding it to them in a mash. If I were going to do that this is how I would do it.

1. Count number of birds to be treated.
  2. Estimate the weight of each bird.
  3. Calculate flock weight. For example, if you have 10 leghorns at ~4 pounds each and 10 RIR's at 6 pounds each, that's 100 pounds of birds.
  4. Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.45 ml
  5. Set aside the amount of pellets or crumbles they will eat in a day in a big container.
  6. Mix the 0.45 ml of Safeguard in some amount of water, two cups maybe? Add the water/Safeguard mixture to the crumbles, stir a little, then add more water until the feed is nice and wet. Mix *very* well.
  7. Repeat for five days and this should treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms and this should not be done if your flock has capillary worms.
Note: If one has capillary worms in their flock a higher dose is needed and that higher dose will require egg withdrawal.

Please, always check my math, 'cause I do make lots of mistakes. :oops:

safeguard_syringe_1-png.1514442

http://www.dosagehelp.com/dosage_by_weight.html

Last edited:
Is there ever a problem with birds lower on the pecking order being underdosed? Or is it pretty much a negligible difference?
Yeah, I guess there is an art to getting the right amount of food out for them, but I think if they all leave with full crops then they probably got their dose.
Why can’t you just mix it with water like you would with wazine?
The liquid for goats is not water soluble and settles very quickly.

Sorry if those are silly questions, I’m still learning!
No such thing as a silly question.

My birds weight 40.5 pounds. I was surprised to see one weigh 3.8 pounds and one weighed 6.6 pounds. I made a spreadsheet and it says I need 0.18mL. I'll have to see how they react to mash, they have never had any before. Maybe put some banana on top they go bananas over banana lol. If I can make this work that will be great. I assume you don't offer anything like scratch until they have eaten all the medicated food?

JT
Yeah, no treats until all feed is consumed. FYI, this is how many peafowl breeders medicate their flocks and this method can be used with almost all medications, though amounts of medications will vary.

I think you mean .045 mL
Thanks for finding my typo! The correct dose is actually 0.45 ml and I have modified my post to show where the mistake was (see strikethrough in red). Thanks again!
Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.045 ml 0.45 ml

Last edited:
My birds weight 40.5 pounds. I was surprised to see one weigh 3.8 pounds and one weighed 6.6 pounds. I made a spreadsheet and it says I need 0.18mL. I'll have to see how they react to mash, they have never had any before. Maybe put some banana on top they go bananas over banana lol. If I can make this work that will be great. I assume you don't offer anything like scratch until they have eaten all the medicated food?

JT

I took a couple of hand fulls of pellet they hate to eat and added a bit of water to it and stirred it up good then tossed in some left over cooked egg whites from lunch just to get the party started. Took them about 4 minutes to empty the bowl. I just need to find a long trough like bowl so everyone has the same chance to eat. I'll give this a whirl in the morning.

Now I know how to get them to eat the pellet food lol.

Thanks
JT

Is there ever a problem with birds lower on the pecking order being underdosed? Or is it pretty much a negligible difference?
Why can’t you just mix it with water like you would with wazine?

Sorry if those are silly questions, I’m still learning!

Back
Top Bottom