Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

I am on my 4th day of treatment. Is it normal to notice a huge increase in food intake?
I have been feeding them the mash in the morning, then after it's all gone I put back the feeders. Over the last two days I have noticed they are going through so much feed!
If they had a bunch of worms they might not have been feeling well and now that the worms are dying maybe they are feeling better? It's just a guess, I really don't know.

I found an ascarid a few days ago and decided to try this method starting yesterday. I clean the poo every day and always try to look at it so this is the first worm that has been expelled.

I already have safeguard 10% paste so that's what I'm using. It will dissolve in warm/hot water but at first it didn't look like it would. I had to stir it up vigorously and stab the paste with a straw to get it to mix and keep it stirred until I poured it into the chicken feed to make my mash. I have 6 hens and used 1 lb of feed.

The chickens eat it with no problem, just had to make sure they were all done laying so they could all get their fair share.

Now I'm concered if the medicine is working at that low of a dose. 6 chickens = 24 lbs = 0.108 ml of safeguard. I actually used more (0.150 ml) because it is hard to squeeze out a perfect amount.

I have only seen 2 more ascarids in separte days that have been expelled. I figured a big wad of them would come out but haven't seen that but this is only day 2. Shouldn't a big wad of roundworms be expelled if the medicine is working?

I have never done this method, but with the other dosing of safeguard that does have a withdrawl, I will occasionally see worms expelled after worming, but many times I don't. I worm for roundworms pretty regularly, my environment requires it, and even if I see worms before worming I don't always see them after treatment. They are often just digested and absorbed. If you want to be completely sure that treatment was effective, then getting a fecal done post treatment is the best way.

I didn't see any roundworms after treatment in the poop.

So you have done this method. Did you see any before you started treatment?

It's kinda crazy because yesterday I didn't see any ascarids and today I have found 3 in separate poos. So far I haven't found any that were wiggling so maybe the medicine is working instead of them just being expeled. I think only one of my hens are overloaded, the rest I'm not sure.

So you have done this method. Did you see any before you started treatment?

It's kinda crazy because yesterday I didn't see any ascarids and today I have found 3 in separate poos. So far I haven't found any that were wiggling so maybe the medicine is working instead of them just being expeled. I think only one of my hens are overloaded, the rest I'm not sure.

Yes, I've done this twice and yes both times I found roundworms in the poop before treating them.

JT

Yes, I've done this twice and yes both times I found roundworms in the poop before treating them.

Thanks. Yesterday I've found 4 worms and today I've already found 5 so I'm getting concerned that wasn't enought medicine and I don't want to make the worms immune to the medicine. Today is day 4 of treatment so we will see how long I continue to see worms.

I would also like to add that after the mash of medicine is eaten, I give them some crumbles until ~4:00 pm then take away the food until the next day so they are definately hungry and eating their fair share of food.

For some reason since I started worming I have one of the white leghorns trying to sit on infertile eggs now. I have to run it off the nest every morning. I don't know if that is a conincidence or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom