Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

I think the nest sitting is coincidence. There are so many factors in what causes a bird to go broody. For that one, I would use a broody breaker crate, also referred to as 'chicken jail" (see article below- at the end).
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/6-ways-to-break-a-broody-hen/
I think your worm sightings are probably die off from the treatments. With the slower/lower dosing, die off may be slower. Once you complete the treatment I would get a fecal done to check. You can use a mail in option if you don't have a vet that will do it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20

I found this interesting:
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Rep...es-Nematode-Parasites-Treatment-Fenbendazole/

In that article is this:
"Fenbendazole functions by inhibiting the uptake of glucose (sugar) in the nematode parasite. This block of glucose uptake is slow, so fenbendazole works better when given over a course of several days than in single or multiple doses that are given at spaced time intervals."

Thought I would share an update so others would know what to expect. I did veer off the instructions somewhat and used 50% more medicine in the mash than what I was supposed to, which would be 1.5 mg/kg. I did use an egg withdrawal period because of this.

Day 0: Found an ascarid in poo and decided to worm.
Day 1: Found 2 ascarids in poos.
Day 2: Found 0 ascarids in poos.
Day 3: Found 4 ascarids in poos.
Day 4: Found 5 ascarids in poos.
Day 5: Found 0 ascarids.
Day 6: Found 0 ascarids.
Day 26: Haven't seen any more ascarids.

This method did, as far as I can tell, get rid of the ascarids. The birds where locked up and didn't free range so I had access to all the poops. I haven't done a fecal test to confirm anything but I haven't seen any more ascarids since day 4 of worming. As you can tell, on days 3 and 4 the medicine had the most effect.

Last edited:
Thought I would share an update so others would know what to expect. I did veer off the instructions somewhat and used 50% more medicine in the mash than what I was supposed to, which would be 1.5 mg/kg. I did use an egg withdrawal period because of this.

Day 0: Found an ascarid in poo and decided to worm.
Day 1: Found 2 ascarids in poos.
Day 2: Found 0 ascarids in poos.
Day 3: Found 4 ascarids in poos.
Day 4: Found 5 ascarids in poos.
Day 5: Found 0 ascarids.
Day 6: Found 0 ascarids.
Day 26: Haven't seen any more ascarids.

This method did, as far as I can tell, get rid of the ascarids. The birds where locked up and didn't free range so I had access to all the poops. I haven't done a fecal test to confirm anything but I haven't seen any more ascarids since day 4 of worming. As you can tell, on days 3 and 4 the medicine had the most effect.
Thanks for the update!

I've noticed quite a few intestinal linings being shed over the past few days in the chickens poo. I decided to start them on Corid yesterday to see if that would help. Well today I find an ascarid in one of the poos so the linings were probably from worms so now I have to worm them again.

Today would be day 60 after I finished the zero day egg withdrawal mash. I did not repeat the mash treatment 14 days after which now I think maybe I should have.

The question is do you think the zero day mash treatment actually got rid of the worms or did it just knock the load back enough to rebuild itself? Is 60 days time enough to be reinfected with ascarids? It has been very dry here since then until about a week ago. What do you guys think?

I've noticed quite a few intestinal linings being shed over the past few days in the chickens poo. I decided to start them on Corid yesterday to see if that would help. Well today I find an ascarid in one of the poos so the linings were probably from worms so now I have to worm them again.

Today would be day 60 after I finished the zero day egg withdrawal mash. I did not repeat the mash treatment 14 days after which now I think maybe I should have.

The question is do you think the zero day mash treatment actually got rid of the worms or did it just knock the load back enough to rebuild itself? Is 60 days time enough to be reinfected with ascarids? It has been very dry here since then until about a week ago. What do you guys think?
Check out the large roundworm (A. Galli) lifecycle in this link, and you'll see the infection time of the worm is only about 10 days.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/helminthiasis/helminthiasis-in-poultry
There are several reasons why your bird(s) may be reinfected:
1. Bird(s) didnt consume enough of the mash to be effective, which will eventually cause wormer resistance in the future.
2. Bird(s) didnt consume the mash. Weak or sick wormy birds rarely eat or dont eat at all. Birds at the bottom of the pecking order may not get enough or none at all.
3. Worm eggs were/are present in litter inside the coop or in the soil in the pen and were picked up by your birds pecking egg contaminated soil or litter.
4. You didnt reworm your birds 10-14 days after the initial worming. Reworming
wouldve killed worms hatched from eggs after the initial dosing.
5. It's best to worm each bird orally one at a time. This will eliminate #1 and #2
above.
I'm sorry you're going through this.

Thanks Dawg53.

1) Yea this is what I was afraid of with the low dose mash. I have since rewormed with Pyrantel Pamoate (and rewormed 10 days later) and haven't seen any more worms. We all know they are likely to be back at some point though.

2) They all did eat the mash all gone every day but like you say, there's no telling what each bird eat.

3) That is possible.

4) Unless I missed it the directions in this thread, it dosen't call for redosing 10-14 days later. You can bet I would if I were to to do the low dose mash again. I actually think this is the reason they came back.

5) It is actually easier for me to worm each bird orally than it is to make medicated mash every morning for 5 days but I only have 6 chickens. Each bird orally is what I will probably do from now on even though there is an egg withdrawal period.

Valbazen would require withdrawal if that sort of thing worries you, so would Safeguard if you use *any* of the doses mentioned in your thread.

However, if you were to use a very small dose of Safeguard 5 days in a row you would not need to toss the eggs. Safeguard in small doses for 5 days in a row is approved for use in laying hens.
View attachment 1949116
View attachment 1949117

The approved dose is 1 mg/kg for five days and that works out to ~0.023 ml per five pounds for five days.

If you don't want to hassle treating each bird you could try feeding it to them in a mash. If I were going to do that this is how I would do it.

1. Count number of birds to be treated.
  2. Estimate the weight of each bird.
  3. Calculate flock weight. For example, if you have 10 leghorns at ~4 pounds each and 10 RIR's at 6 pounds each, that's 100 pounds of birds.
  4. Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.45 ml
  5. Set aside the amount of pellets or crumbles they will eat in a day in a big container.
  6. Mix the 0.45 ml of Safeguard in some amount of water, two cups maybe? Add the water/Safeguard mixture to the crumbles, stir a little, then add more water until the feed is nice and wet. Mix *very* well.
  7. Repeat for five days and this should treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms and this should not be done if your flock has capillary worms.
Note: If one has capillary worms in their flock a higher dose is needed and that higher dose will require egg withdrawal.

Please, always check my math, 'cause I do make lots of mistakes. :oops:

safeguard_syringe_1-png.1514442

http://www.dosagehelp.com/dosage_by_weight.html
WOW YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!

Back
Top Bottom