Sagitta chickens from Sunnyside Hatchery

wyoDreamer

Free Ranging
13 Years
Nov 10, 2010
NE Wisconsin
Anyone raise the "Sagitta" chickens from Sunnyside Hatchery in Wisconsin?

They are a hybrid and I was thinking of trying them for both eggs and meat. I know they will probably be less than stellar in both categories, but I thought they may be a good place to start with my chickening journey. I am building my coop now, and I can order them from a couple of places in town.
I may get a couple of the jumbo broilers also for comparison.

I went ahead and placed an order. They only come as straight run, so I ordered some sex link's also, so I know I will have some egg layers this summer.
I guess I will be the guinea pig and give them go. I will try to post how it goes here. First time chicken keeper here, so it will be an adventure on my part.

I have Sagitta hens and you will NOT be disapointed. My flock is primarily made up of everything, (I like variety and rare birds) but I keep about a dozen of these for their egg laying ability. We get ours thru the local feed store. The hens run a nice uniform red color about as dark as NewHamps and and are egg laying machines, even in winter. The roosters are just slightly darker and really put on some weight for butchering. You really can't compare them to the jumbo broilers as those big ol fat things are bred specificly for meat birds and exceptionaly fast weight gain. (8 weeks for a broiler max) Where as the Sagittas will develop more like a "regular" dual-purpose breed. (12-16 weeks) They are exceptionaly cold hardy for our WI winters. Mine free range thru the whole winter and when my prize cochins and minorcas don't want to leave the coop these bad girls are lined up at the door ready to go even on the coldest days or in deep snow. I'm not really into hybrid breeds because I prefer purebreed lines, but this is one chicken that will always have a place in my flock :)

Last edited:
Birds are doing good. I got 3 blacks, 3 browns (my egg laying pullets), 9 straight run Sagitta and 1 mystery chick. Only 3 of the straight run Sagitta's turned out to be roosters, and the mystery chick of course. So 4 roos and 12 pullets.

Birds are doing good. I got 3 blacks, 3 browns (my egg laying pullets), 9 straight run Sagitta and 1 mystery chick. Only 3 of the straight run Sagitta's turned out to be roosters, and the mystery chick of course. So 4 roos and 12 pullets.
I'm glad to hear things are going so well. :eek:)

The birds are settled in the new coop, the run is set up and the door is open all day for them to enjoy the sunshine and green grass. They have stripped the little bush down to bare twigs, the grape vine is not far behind and the grass is starting to show some stress ... :) They are sure enjoying the new digs. They have started making quite a dust-bath hole also. lol! They have been so easy to train to go back into the coop or to go outside - they are food/treat oriented they flock to wherever I am. It is also funny that there is usually one bird in the coop when I go to feed them in the afternoon - I think they take turns waiting for me. As soon as I open the door with the feed bucket in hand - the lookout starts calling and flock enters in single file and lines up at the feed trough ...
I also have 1 rooster crowing regularly - and possibly a second one practicing. My crower will be culled really soon - like the next day or so. He has been trying to mate the hens for about a week and a half, but they were not receptive to him. Yesterday a hen squatted for him - does that indicate that she is going to start laying soon? They are only about 13 weeks old.

So, finally butchered the roosters. At 7 months, the roosters weighed 4.5, 4.7, 5.2 and 5.5 pounds. The biggest one was the one we thought was the smallest - turns out he just had short legs I guess.

The Sagitta's are doing really well still. They layed all winter long again. However, this winter, they decided they will not step out into that cold white stuff. The pop door is opened every morning, but they prefer spending the entire day in their coop - but they seem to be coping well. I never noticed a molt - some of them are starting to look a little worn around the edges and there are some feathers laying around the coop and run, but not many.

I lost one of my black hens, and another black seems to be on permanent molt - bare back for 3 months and now her tail feathers are falling out and her butt is getting bare. I have dusted her in case of mites, and I see some feathers start growing and then they disappear before fully growing out. Not sure what is going on, maybe she is being picked on. Maybe if it warms up a bit this spring, I will separate her from the rest and see if she will grow feathers back.

Back
Top Bottom