SAHM going to work full time for the first time!

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Well, I was just offered a full time position at a hotel I work in and it has great benefits! PLUS paid holidays! Can't go wrong. I said YES
big_smile.png
I'm going to miss all the chicken time I've had but this is a must for our family. Especially NOW with this crazy world!

I think you've made a smart decision. Good luck! It will be an adjustment, but if it benefits your family, then it is worth it.

I've threatened DH that I was going to install a chicken cam at the barn so I could watch from work!!

Thank you all...I feel really proud of myself about it. I just felt I was not contributing enough just being a SAHM ya know. I know there is MUCH to do for a mom having children to take care of at home but I was pulling in NO money. And each and every month we fall farther in debt and adding to the credit cards again. We had them paid off when I worked part time before but I took three years off and we had to charge stuff we needed. NOW I want those paid off again. We have a free sitter so there is no childcare expenses either to worry about. Grandma lives next door
big_smile.png
AND my dad is here 24/7 to keep an eye on the chickens and the dogs. It is perfect
big_smile.png
Plus I work 3-11 and my hubby works am shifts so grandma will only have to watch him for 3 hours rather than 8.

Congrats! Just remember that things may pile up at home while you adjust, but don't worry about them! The dust will still be there tomorrow. Concentrate on your family.
I am so glad my SO doesn't believe in credit cards or using credit period. This house was built as they could afford to 40 years ago. While I can't imagine living in a house with no roof (as they did until they sold enough chickens to afford one), it's nice now knowing no matter what the economy brings we'll be fine.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to throw out some free advice here. Take it for what you paid for it.

I don't know how old your kids are, so this may not apply to you, but I went back to work 6 months after each of my kids was born. My husband has a job that keeps him late (like after the kids are in bed late) during the week, so I had the additional stress of effectively single parenting during the week.

When I pick them up from daycare and get them home, I really needed to start dinner because they were ravenous. But the kids needed a half hour to reconnect with me. It got very crazy for a while until I figured out to have some easy quick snacks around for when we get home (banana, yogurt, cheese and crackers, etc), then I would take the next half hour and just sit on the floor with them, snuggle, play, whatever they wanted before doing anything useful around the house.

We all needed that time to reconnect with each other. Dinner could wait, chores could wait and things got much saner.

And MAN am I glad I kept my career going since DH's job ends at the end of the year and prospects are looking grim...

Back
Top Bottom