Saipan Jungle Fowl from Ideal Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by nissa_loves_cats, Dec 8, 2011.

1. nissa_loves_cats

nissa_loves_cats Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone bought Saipan Jungle Fowl from Ideal? I'm hoping to get a new breed of chickens in the spring--- I'm down to about 5 of my old flock--- and was thinking of either Saipan Jungle Fowl or Thailand from Ideal.

I realize that hatchery chicks are not going to be as true to type as birds from a breeder. But I've bought from Ideal before and got some good birds from them at a good price (which is the most important factor).

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would be concerned about keeping jungle fowl in UP Michigan. I would think that unless you kept them in a semi heated area that you are going to have birds that will have frozen combs and such. I would check with your State thread and ask other folks from MI about this first. After that most hatcheries have about the same quality of chicks.

3. nissa_loves_cats

nissa_loves_cats Chillin' With My Peeps

I've raised chickens of various sorts here for nearly 20 years, including some with large single combs. They all seem able to get through the winter all right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by