Sally's GF3 thread

We have a burn barrel. We use it occasionally.

A friend of mine said she'd read (so this is third hand) that the external wood burners were going to be banned in Michigan. We looked into getting one when we first moved out here, and decided against, as we'd read that they smoked a lot and stank. When we heard our neighbor was getting one, we thought/hoped that they'd improved in the 29 years since we looked into them. I guess not.

Do you Crystal light?
No, I am a bit of a water snob. We have a reverse osmosis filter on our kitchen tap, and that is the best tasting water I've found. We have a lot (LOT!!!) of iron in our water, even have an iron filter, but our tap water is bleah. We have a softener too; RO is the only process I know of, other than distillation, that removes salt.

When we go out, I relax my ban on pop (soda), and have a diet Coke. Lots of less-than-good things in that, but I don't drink alcohol, and the water in restaurants is usually not very tasty to me. In the rare instances that a restaurant will have kombucha, I'll get that. LOVE that stuff. I'm a kombucha snob too: I like my home made stuff the best.

We have a neighbor who burns large piles of limbs, leaves etc on the ground. They decided to clean up the burn pile to get rid of the ash, coals. They were still hot!. Instead of wetting them down and burying them, they scooped them up with a shovel and dumped them by the woods at the back of their property.

Those woods are our property and open up to our front yard. First I saw a bit of smoke, then the wind picked up. All of a sudden flames were tearing across our front yard. The woods were on fire! Fire department, 2 tanker trucks, lots of volunteers and the Forestry Service came. Thankfully they got it out before it made it to the house. Scared me to death!

They received a fine and had to pay costs of the fire department. When I found out how this started, I couldn't believe it!

Did we even get an apology??? None.
He is a deputy sheriff.
They will still burn stuff and walk away. If it happens again, I may not be so nice.

Wow!

We had a neighbor who would burn stuff across the road (driveway) from his house. Which is our property. One day, he caught the dried grass on fire. He put it out with his hose, and his wife read him the riot act. I told him he CANNOT burn anything on our property ever again.

He thought if he did something once on someone else's property, he had permission forever. Nuh uh.

This did not stop him from building a shed that is half on our property. The electric was run to his house, so on his bill.

These people don't live there anymore, and we don't miss them.

I tried to get that neighbor to compost their leaves. No dice. Not interested. I asked could I have most of them??? YES!!! I now get as many as I can from her leaf pile to lessen the fires. They still burn some.

Another family on the other side of our property decided they wanted to sub-divide their land. County said they did not have enough road front. They asked could they "have" a corner of our property to widen their drive to make the minimum they needed. Umm, no, nobody "gave" it to us.

They went ahead with their plan anyway without our knowledge. Hired a survey crew. I looked out the window and a man was sighting off and driving iron pipe about 60 ft up my driveway.
This here southern lady lost all her manners! I went out there and told them to remove the pipes and get off my land before I reported them for trespassing. :rant

Those neighbors did not get to sub-divide. They still live there. Now when I see them occasionally in passing, I just smile and wave!
Not had anymore problems with them coming over. hehehe

Some people have nerve! If I could afford it, I would build a stone wall around our land. :lol:

The neighbor I refered to (Joe) asked if he could buy an acre, since we now owned that field. :lauNot a bleeping chance! He wanted to build a "small pole barn."

He went ahead an built his shed anyway. :mad:

We didn't do anything about it, since we wanted harmony back here.

The current owners found out that Joe did a lot of things that were just plain dumb. Like how he had installed his woodstove. And "improving" the road with some cheap concrete that is falling apart.

When we bounce over the "improvements," we say, "Thanks, Joe!"

IMG_5791.JPG

My (cheap, old) iphone didn't focus on the flower, but the bee surely did. :)

Back
Top Bottom