Sally's GF3 thread

The next four days are going to be cool/chilly and damp/wet at times. After that, 70s, and 50s at night. Do I dare start hardening off the plants then?

I keep flashing back to last year. I had tomato plants in the ground on May 26, and we got a serious frost. I bought some plants to replace the ones that died.

This is my hardening off method.
View attachment 3826325
Those are L/XL dog crates. View attachment 3826326
The plants sit outside in the garden, covered with a sheet for the sunniest part of the day, while they're still getting used to direct sunlight.

Then they're covered only at night. If we had threat of frost, I could throw another cover over them. Or carry them all back to the green house.

Don't the pepper plants (lower left corner) look puny!! compared to the tomatoes?
Peppers like heat, don't do well until the days are consistently warm.

Oh, yes. I looked it up, it must have been the June 1953 tornado outbreak he was referring to. They were sent to assist in rescue and recovery.
There have been plenty of tornadoes in Michigan.
That was a bit before my time.

"One of the nation's most devastating natural disasters occurred in the Flint, Michigan's Beecher district on Monday, June 8th, 1953, resulting in 116 deaths and injuring 844. To date, this F5 intensity tornado was the last one in the United States to result in over 100 fatalities."

There have been plenty of tornadoes in Michigan.
That was a bit before my time.

"One of the nation's most devastating natural disasters occurred in the Flint, Michigan's Beecher district on Monday, June 8th, 1953, resulting in 116 deaths and injuring 844. To date, this F5 intensity tornado was the last one in the United States to result in over 100 fatalities."
Before my time, and my older sisters' time, too. My parents got married in December 1954.

Last edited:
I made GF bread again, making two slight changes to the recipe I used last time. I usually make only one change at a time, in case something goes wrong and the results are a total flop.

It's even better this time. Here's my recipe.

Gluten Free White Bread

420 grams of GF flour (see note)
3 1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons salt (regular table salt)
1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed to 95 F degrees
4 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 egg whites at room temperature

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the flour, sugar, cream of tartar, and yeast by hand with a wire whisk. Add the salt and mix again.

Using the mixer, add the milk, butter, apple cider vinegar, and egg whites, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl, then mix on medium speed for 3 minutes. It will be thick, smooth, and wet, like a thick batter.

Scrape into a buttered 9x5 loaf pan. Cover with a buttered piece of waxed paper and let rise in a warm spot until the dough is about 150% of original volume, 30-45 minutes.

Remove the waxed paper and bake at 375 F for 45-60 minutes, to an internal temperature of 195-205 F. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and cover to finish cooling on a rack.

Note: I use Namaste brand GF flour. It contains xanthan gum. If the flour you use doesn't have it, add 2 1/4 teaspoons to the dry mix in the mixer bowl.

Next time, I might substitute olive oil for the melted butter.

I think I'm in love with the (used) KitchenAid stand mixer I got from my neighbor for $72. Poor bread machine. Don't know when I'll be using you again...

Sally,,,, The Kitchen Aid is a wonderful machine. As I'm writing,,, I am using mine to bake Mothers Day cakes. Well,, I am actually waiting on my first rise. so have a few minutes to check BYC.

eta. I will post some pictures here tomorrow, or there so. I have a feeling that you would be able to make the Apple cake,, (my moms recipe) using your GF flour.

Last edited:
@cavemanrich, do you have any of the attachments that it can run, like the spiralizer gizmo? I bought that on sale at the store. 20% off, $79, so more than I paid for the mixer. I really wanted that though; I can see using it a LOT when it's apple drying time. Slice and peel, save my right hand and wrist all the work.

I used the spiralizer to make zoodles. I'll be doing that a lot, I think. I'm even going to grow zucchini in my garden this year!

I'm thinking about the pasta attachment... I hesitate, because if hubby thinks he'd like fresh pasta, I'd probably have to get him his own so that mine could stay GF. I don't know if he'd even try GF pasta. Ok, that's not fair. He would TRY it, but I doubt he'd think it was as good as the "real" thing.

I have to admit, I was hesitant to commit to getting a mixer. I didn't want to give up the counter space, and we don't have a good place to store it. They're heavy and awkward to move. In the pantry in the mudroom? Have to be on the floor, which means lifting. In the basement? The pantry down there has some spaces that tall, but they already have their residents.

I know myself well enough. If it's awkward to get, I'll look for a reason not to use it. If I have to have hubby get it for me, that's a problem if he's not here at the time, or busy with some other project.

So we moved stuff around on the counter, and found it a home. I'm very glad we did. :)

Back
Top Bottom