Salmon Fav. x Silkie Question ?

Quote:
I'm going to post some pictures of them as soon as I get my phone up and running, (out of min.) and thats the only way that I have to post pictures at the moment,

I have no Idea why they didn't get the black skin or legs or the colored earlobes. I would have expected that too, but I'm really not good with the Genetics. I wonder if I breed them back to the Silkies if they would get them??? I really like the white legs though, I get the 5 toes because both breeds have them. Maybe the white skin is dominant like the white feathers would be on a chicken????: idunno
big_smile.png

Sandy

Quote:
I'm going to post some pictures of them as soon as I get my phone up and running, (out of min.) and thats the only way that I have to post pictures at the moment,

I have no Idea why they didn't get the black skin or legs or the colored earlobes. I would have expected that too, but I'm really not good with the Genetics. I wonder if I breed them back to the Silkies if they would get them??? I really like the white legs though, I get the 5 toes because both breeds have them. Maybe the white skin is dominant like the white feathers would be on a chicken????: idunno
big_smile.png

Sandy

No, dark skin (Fm: fibromelanosis) gene is dominant. What is the origin of the silkies? Hatchery, and other PQ birds can be lacking in some of the genes necessary for the complete silkie genome.

Quote:
big_smile.png
I have seen a picture here on BYC before of these guys, and though I think that is a AWESOME looking bird, I'm not really a silkie type person, I like some of the parts of silkies, I don't like Bantams myself, But Broodiness I like, I like the personality of the silkies and the faverolles, But I would love to have a LF bird that has all of the qualities of these too breeds, Mostly I'm just Playin', I'm semi retired, kinda and I just want a project to work on. My Original plan was to cross MY LB Roo with the Silkies, tat never came to pass, so I started letting the SF Roo Run with the silkie girls and they hatched out these Awesome chicks! The best part is that it is so easy to tell the sex on them,
at least so far, All the males look like miniture versions of there Father, and the girls color looks just like a S.F. hens. If it weren't for the comb type (they all have more of the silkie comb, but slimmer, and the Top Knots I would think that they were salmon favs, right down to the full black beards, LOL. But I would love them to get up to the LF size and be super broody like my silkie girls. The silkie feathering is cool and I would really like to see more of it in my chicks but they look great with the type of feathering they have.

So I want a LF Salmon Fav that is Super Broody and good layers too, ( larger egg) I always heard that silkies were poor layers but most of my girls lay everyday. ???? When there not being broody of course .
Any way it is so fun just seeing what you get.
big_smile.png

If you search past posts, there is someone here who has VERY largefowl silkies (she was asking about interest in purchasing eggs). I do not recall colour, but that might be more in the line of what you are looking for for breeding purposes.

edited because I forgot to add that in my experience, silkie crosses are much better broodies than silkies.

See, I had no idea that there were LF Silkies ! I will have to search for those posts, thankyou!
big_smile.png

Quote:
If you search past posts, there is someone here who has VERY largefowl silkies (she was asking about interest in purchasing eggs). I do not recall colour, but that might be more in the line of what you are looking for for breeding purposes.

edited because I forgot to add that in my experience, silkie crosses are much better broodies than silkies.

See, I had no idea that there were LF Silkies ! I will have to search for those posts, thankyou!
big_smile.png

They are not recognised in the US, and the ones mentioned are far larger than the LF ones in other countries. I have not seen them in person, but there is a photo on the thread...

Quote:

big_smile.png

Sandy

No, dark skin (Fm: fibromelanosis) gene is dominant. What is the origin of the silkies? Hatchery, and other PQ birds can be lacking in some of the genes necessary for the complete silkie genome.

Yes, my silkies are hatchery birds. So that would make perfect sense! I know that all of my silkies have the black legs but maybe they just lucked up. Mine are def. pet Quality, however I have to say that for whatever reason the Silkies that were hatched here at home, from the stock from the hatchery look much better than the hatchery stock (parents) , but certainly not show Quality at all. The Silkie chicks that were hatched out here, have bigger head poofs and way more leg feathering on them. All of them turned out non-bearded, so thats why I figure that the SFxSilkie chicks got the beards from the SF side.
idunno.gif
smile.png

Quote:
Wow that is so neat ! I had no Idea! Very nice!!
big_smile.png
Do you think that both sizes have the same personality's?

she is very sweet, and he is starting to be protective of her and my salmon fav hen... But he's a cuddle monkey too. My Sam fab Hen is currently in protective custody until I get all my extra surprise I am a roo, roosters to the butcher. She is so docile that my rir roo has torn her comb pretty bad. I am not going to keep ny of her eggs for chicks thou. Going to breed her true to my Sam fav roo. But roger there is almost as big as my faverolle hen.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know that those SF hen are sooooo sweet too! I wish I had some hens, I had two and lost them both to whatever causes? still not sure, but I did get one chick out of Alma my sweet little SF hen I thought, turns out Uno SS turned out to be her mom, She has alot of her daddys features (SF Roo) beard, white legs , 5 toes and the coloring but just this year after her heavy moult, she started getting the speckles. LOL fooled me! LOL.

kinda wondering now if I had have bred the Silkie Roos to tha SF Hens if the results would have turn out different? So where did you get Roger?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom