Salmon Faverol in nest box

MAT10

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
Utah
Thought she was broody at first but now, not sure. Tried blocking the nesting area til she dropped an egg in the run (made me feel bad) She is a sweet, cuddly Faverol.
2022- Got a RIR, WLH, EE, BO & LO
2023- Intergrated Red Sexlink, BCM, BAutralorp, SLW, & the SF. Faverol is definitely at the bottom. They've all been doing fine until a couple days ago, aside from the occasional peck. However, RIR & EE has been chasing her so today they went to jail😂
BUT, she keeps going back to nest no matter how many times I take her out. I have even removed the fake eggs & regularly collect the real onea so there's nothing for her to sit on.

She is VERY frustrated this evening as I've blocked off the coop entrance til roosting time, when she will (I'm sure) go to the nest box. Must not be sleeping there tho as it's always clean in the am.
She has plenty of places to get away...perches stumps, etc.
She is eating & drinking and mingling to some degree & dustbathing. The isolated 'jailhouse birds'have helped that some. She hasn't layed since 8/23 but did EVERY day 8/13-21. The older hens are moulting right now. I have 4 feeders, 2 drinkers plus another hanging drinker. 2 oyster shell cups as well.
I am at a loss. No blood haa been drawn YET...
HELP!
0825231907_HDR.jpg
0814232039.jpg
0814232040a.jpg

Attachments

• 0814232040b.jpg
    0814232040b.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 9
She will hang out a bit with the others but inevitably returns to the nest. Seems the older hens keep her at bay. She is truly at the bottom. Wished I'd gotten two so she'd have a friend of her own breed. Not sure that would have helped or not?????

Copying your info from the other thread so I can answer everything here:
I blocked off the nest boxes for the night as she DID go back at roosting time.
I isolated the two birds that were chasing.... 1) hoping to avoid any BIGGER problems, and
2) worried that removing my Faverole would make things worse for her in the pecking order when she is reintergrated. Thoughts on that???
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the isolation area is in clear view of the flock. I've never had an issue having birds rejoin the flock that way.
I will return the two to the flock tomorrow :)
FYI... the "jail/sick bay" (4 x 4) is adjacent to the covered run (4 x 12) with hardware cloth as a divider.
I wonder if I could just put the Faverole in there instead. The flooring to both is sand but the jail has no nest box.
🤔🤔🤔
Yes you can try using the jail as a breaker instead. Lack of nest box is no problem - if she's fully broody she won't lay. If she isn't she'll just drop the last egg on the ground, no big deal.

Other thing to consider if you do have some bullying issues is your run space looks pretty barren of clutter, which provides hiding spots and gives birds something to do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140
No hiding spot per say INSIDE covered run but does have two perches. I can make a leanto no problem.

They also access free ranging where there is a leanto for her & tree stump to hop up on. Also a perch; I have seen her use it all.

I also hang cabbage heads, mealworms cylinder to peck at, Suets, etc.

Thank you so much. I am a new chicken keeper & learning more ALL the time. So much more than I realized. 😲
❤❤❤ my girls but it can be quite the challenge.

Thought she was broody at first but now, not sure. Tried blocking the nesting area til she dropped an egg in the run (made me feel bad) She is a sweet, cuddly Faverol.
2022- Got a RIR, WLH, EE, BO & LO
2023- Intergrated Red Sexlink, BCM, BAutralorp, SLW, & the SF. Faverol is definitely at the bottom. They've all been doing fine until a couple days ago, aside from the occasional peck. However, RIR & EE has been chasing her so today they went to jail😂
BUT, she keeps going back to nest no matter how many times I take her out. I have even removed the fake eggs & regularly collect the real onea so there's nothing for her to sit on.

She is VERY frustrated this evening as I've blocked off the coop entrance til roosting time, when she will (I'm sure) go to the nest box. Must not be sleeping there tho as it's always clean in the am.
She has plenty of places to get away...perches stumps, etc.
She is eating & drinking and mingling to some degree & dustbathing. The isolated 'jailhouse birds'have helped that some. She hasn't layed since 8/23 but did EVERY day 8/13-21. The older hens are moulting right now. I have 4 feeders, 2 drinkers plus another hanging drinker. 2 oyster shell cups as well.
I am at a loss. No blood haa been drawn YET...
HELP!
View attachment 3619514View attachment 3619518View attachment 3619513
UPDATE: Here we are in November, already.
My sweet Faverolle "Biscuit" turned out to be broody. I was able to break her & got eggs again. Then she went broody again...3 MORE TIMES.
Thanks to my new chicken lady friends here at BYC I was able to recognize it quicker. & break the pattern quicker. Back to egg laying...business as usual.
THANKS again y'all & HAPPY Thanksgiving.
#BLESSED

Attachments

• 0831231912a.jpg
    0831231912a.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom