Nesting Box Materials Question

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
I have a 24.5 week old girl that has been laying for 9 days now. Today I got my sixth egg. I think it is the same one, as three are EE's, and all 6 eggs have been the exact same color. Also, she is the only one squating. If I have two laying, the other is not showing signs for me to pick up on. Is it normal for a chicken to lay so well right off, or is there a better chance I have two laying?

Anyway, regarding nesting box materials. The six eggs have been laid all over the place. Two in different nesting boxes, one on the coop floor, and 3 in the run, the last two being in the exact same spot. This morning I watched her from my kitchen window, all nervous, and kept going to that spot to really dig into the sand to lay. Sure enough, that is where she laid the egg.

The nesting boxes have faux grass pads, so it isn't something to dig into. Should I replace the pads with sand or shavings so she can make her nest to lay? I got the materials yesterday to build a better lip on the boxes to hold sand or shavings. The coop has sand as the material on the floors.

I'll hang up and listen.

New layers can be very sporadic where to lay their eggs. I got that too recently.

We have choices of horse bedding pellets or straw. They choose the horse bedding pellets 3 to 1. Weird, but nice for me as I just stir those once a week or so. I think whatever you use they should eventually start laying there.

If it persists, I've heard of people laying fake eggs or golf balls in their nests to give the hens a clue.

Possibly tmi, if so I apologize, but I heard the analogy before and it seems to have some standing.

Think of the egg like a period. For the young bird, all of a sudden, it's like 'Oh! It's here!'. She has to learn how her body feels when an egg is ready to be laid. Often times, she's not going to be close enough to a nest box to lay it there in the beginning. As she gets older and has been laying for a while, she will learn how to keep the egg inside enough to get to where she wants to lay it (preferably she will want to lay it in the nestbox)

Congrats with your EE laying.

The bedding is not very important as long as the nest box is cozy, comfortable and sheltered. Lay a fake egg in the nest box or a real one that is marked (for about max 2 months , give it no chance to rot) . Leave one egg in the nestbox , so she knows this is a good place to lay her egg besides it.

Btw. In spring… If you have a broody and you don’t want /can’t have chicks you better not let any fake eggs in the nest box.

PS, the first time I had pullets laying I had one hen laying on different places too. Even after the fake egg.

I knew about what time she would lay an egg. And made sure the chickens where locked up in the coop/small run. This worked very well. After a week she knew. Only in spring she did it again to create a hidden nest before getting broody.

Every chicken is different. Give it time and try to figure out what works.

I have fake eggs in all of the nesting boxes. Also, her pacing, being nervous, and going back and forth nesting down into the sand in that one spot went on for about 15 minutes. Her behavior was actually quite interesting to watch from my kitchen window.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

PS, the first time I had pullets laying I had one hen laying on different places too. Even after the fake egg.

I knew about what time she would lay an egg. And made sure the chickens where locked up in the coop/small run. This worked very well. After a week she knew. Only in spring she did it again to create a hidden nest before getting broody.

Every chicken is different. Give it time and try to figure out what works.
I have thought about just locking them in the coop at that time. I know what time she lays, as I was watching her, and keeping an eye on that corner of the run. Since she definitely telegraphs (for now) with her pacing and nervousness, it might not be difficult to do. I'll give her time and keep that in mind.

So just put an egg in one of the boxes and leave the other two boxes empty? Instead of one in each box as I have now?
You might try putting and egg in 2 of the nests and leave one without.
I had a pullet that kinda afraid of them at first.
I've never used sand or fake grass, not sure if some wood shavings or straw might help or not.

Back
Top Bottom