New Layer laying eggs on coop floor

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My Easter Egger laid her first egg 4 days ago inside one of the nesting boxes. Her next egg was on the floor of the coop right below the nesting box so I assumed she was figuring things out and maybe stuck her butt out the wrong way. Today I found another egg smack in the middle of the coop, so Im guessing at this point it's not an accident. The floor she's laying on is plastic, much like the plastic flooring in a dog crate. I don't have any bedding on the floor in there so it's not like she's mistaking it for nesting material. I have three other pullets who have been laying for a while inside the nesting boxes, and also keep wooden eggs in each one. What do I do??

Generally yes, particularly if they have dummy (or real) eggs in the nests. In my experience, they may lay 1 or 2 outside of the nest, but then figure it out.

How many hens/pullets do you have and how many nest boxes? Also, what type of nesting material are you using?
5 pullets but only 4 have started laying. I have 4 boxes and use pine shavings in them.

5 pullets but only 4 have started laying. I have 4 boxes and use pine shavings in them.
OK. That is reasonable. If there are too few nest boxes or if they have a spat over a favorite nest box, that can be a problem, but you have plenty. I'd say hay is better than pine shavings for bedding, but that that shouldn't prevent laying there.

At this point, my best thought is to just give it a little more time and see if she adjusts. Good luck.

I have a pullet who is laying eggs on the floor of the coop. Same place each time. I tried putting boards down on the floor there. She just moved a bit to the side, then scratched bedding over the board. I was afraid she'd start breaking eggs, so I gave in.

I have another pullet who is laying out in the run. Is it because she is caught unawares and it just pops out?

I have 6 birds laying, and their timing is spread throughout the day, most days. I have two nest boxes, both are used, but one is the preferred box. The both have a fake egg. Maybe a second fake egg in each would help....?

Come spring, I will design and build a roll away exterior nest box that will be three boxes wide. :rolleyes: Until then, I will just do "egg check" several times a day.

I really hope the floor and run layer will figure things out.

Back
Top Bottom