Salmon Faverolle Habits

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FlyingHoxRanch, Sep 16, 2014.

1. FlyingHoxRanch

FlyingHoxRanch Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2014
    Central Washington
    Hello, I have a mixed flock of 20 hens who are 12 weeks old. 4 days ago, I started to let them out to free range during the day. The Salmon Faverolle is the only one who doesn't come into the coop at night without me carrying her or leading her in.
    Anyone else have a SF that is a "night owl"?[​IMG]

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I have 4 who are just a little older than yours, but they all come home at night with no issues.

Did you get your SF from Ideal Hatchery by chance?

3. FlyingHoxRanch

Sep 16, 2014
    Central Washington
    Yes. I see on this website that the " unusual" SF coloring is common from Ideal :(.

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Can you lock the Fav in the coop for a couple of days, or will that deny services needed for your other birds?

Yeah it's a bummer about the coloring, but my birds are great fun anyway. They're very friendly and are laying well. My first-to-lay hen also just went broody which I'm pretty excited about.

1 person likes this.
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Is she at the bottom of the pecking order?

6. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    My SF is definitely not the laid back girl the breed is known for. She somewhat bullies my Dominique and mutt that are below her in the order. Sometimes I think she likes to defy me a little, but ultimately he knows I'm queen bee. Is there enough roosting room? I second closing her in a few days is possible.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  7. FlyingHoxRanch

Sep 16, 2014
    Central Washington
    Yes, she is sort of at the bottom of the pecking order. I have only one hen that likes to boss the others, and she picks on this one the most. But, hurray! she made it in to the coop unassisted tonight! :)

8. FlyingHoxRanch

Sep 16, 2014
    Central Washington
    Plenty of roosting room. As I mentioned in my previous reply to a post, she went in to the coop unassisted tonight :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by