Salmon Faverolle leg feather picking

mintyivyy1

Chirping
Oct 11, 2022
Anyone else have issues with Salmon Fav's losing leg feathers? I feel awful, our beloved bird keeps getting her new leg feathers and blood feathers pecked at--she's about 22 weeks old. We always clean the wound with salt water and vetracyn, clot it if needed, use Rooster Booster No pick, use blue kote, pull the feather if we need to-- the whole thing.
We're not even actively seeing which bird is picking. I think probably a few of them do. we only have 10 birds total and there's no obvious offender or someone bullying her. Is our only hope to isolate her until her leg feathers grow in? It seems crazy that our lives are being taken over by checking her legs every few hours. We spend extensive time with all of them, they have lots of space, lots of food, lots of water--more space than 10 birds need. It's not an overcrowding issue. We have 3 Brahmas with feathered feet and this is not happening to them, but their feathers are darker. I thought about wrapping her legs with vet wrap for a few days, but I imagine that could draw even more attention to them.

This is a common but difficult issue to resolve, if it ever does. It appears you are trying just about everything that can be done.

What I would suggest is to segregate her in a safe enclosure within the run during the day so she's apart but still with the flock. You mentioned you have a lot of space. You could probably easily construct a "jail". This is so useful for lots of things. I have had one ever since I expanded my run ten years ago, and I am so very grateful I did.

The jail is especially useful for just such a pullet as you are dealing with. Time spent in the enclosure builds self confidence and gives the legs time to heal. In about three weeks of this apart time, it's possible you pullet will be able to move away from pickers and abusers. The time apart also interrupts the bad behavior, and it may not continue when the pullet returns to general population. Here is an article I wrote on this subject. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Another thing you can try is pinless peepers on the bullies and pickers. Identify who is doing the mischief and install these devices. They inhibit vision just enough that it makes it difficult to acquire a target.

This is a common but difficult issue to resolve, if it ever does. It appears you are trying just about everything that can be done.

What I would suggest is to segregate her in a safe enclosure within the run during the day so she's apart but still with the flock. You mentioned you have a lot of space. You could probably easily construct a "jail". This is so useful for lots of things. I have had one ever since I expanded my run ten years ago, and I am so very grateful I did.

The jail is especially useful for just such a pullet as you are dealing with. Time spent in the enclosure builds self confidence and gives the legs time to heal. In about three weeks of this apart time, it's possible you pullet will be able to move away from pickers and abusers. The time apart also interrupts the bad behavior, and it may not continue when the pullet returns to general population. Here is an article I wrote on this subject. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Another thing you can try is pinless peepers on the bullies and pickers. Identify who is doing the mischief and install these devices. They inhibit vision just enough that it makes it difficult to acquire a target.
Thanks so much. We have built a timeout pen/jail, we just sort of felt bad putting her in there. I really appreciate your insight.

Just wondering the protein content of your feed? Sometimes chickens will feather peck when they are being bullies, other times they will eat the feathers to get more protein. Sometimes they are just bored. They could be going after her feathers because she’s an easy target. Just a thought! Maybe hang a cabbage for them to pick at, or add some other boredom busters to the run (pallets to climb on & under, etc.) Good luck!

Just wondering the protein content of your feed? Sometimes chickens will feather peck when they are being bullies, other times they will eat the feathers to get more protein. Sometimes they are just bored. They could be going after her feathers because she’s an easy target. Just a thought! Maybe hang a cabbage for them to pick at, or add some other boredom busters to the run (pallets to climb on & under, etc.) Good luck!
Thank you! We have a pretty complex set of roosts at many different levels that they all seem to love, a calcium pecker block, a chicken xylophone, a treat log that they need to roll to get mealworms out, a bench to hide under, a separate pen, and of course their whole coop has dark spots to hide in. Gosh, I really hope that's enough stimulation!

They are on a nice non-GMO grower feed from Green Mountain, but I did just find a first egg (today!) so it's time to switch to layer feed. The odd thing is is that they don't pull out her other feathers ever, it's just the starter feathers from her feet. I think the white pinfeather tubes for whatever reason get them excited. That's why I tried coating in no pick and blu kote.

Thank you! We have a pretty complex set of roosts at many different levels that they all seem to love, a calcium pecker block, a chicken xylophone, a treat log that they need to roll to get mealworms out, a bench to hide under, a separate pen, and of course their whole coop has dark spots to hide in. Gosh, I really hope that's enough stimulation!

They are on a nice non-GMO grower feed from Green Mountain, but I did just find a first egg (today!) so it's time to switch to layer feed. The odd thing is is that they don't pull out her other feathers ever, it's just the starter feathers from her feet. I think the white pinfeather tubes for whatever reason get them excited. That's why I tried coating in no pick and blu kote.
Yes, it sounds like you have lots of things to keep them busy! 😂 If you like the grower feed which is probably higher in calcium, you can just give oyster shell on the side. Your girl must just be an easy target. I was worried about my single SF, but she holds her own and is one of the most bossy! Totally not what I expected lol.

Can you post some photos? I'm wondering if it's the thickness of the sheath. My faverolle roos pick at their own feet when the new feathers are growing it.
I’m having trouble w my roo. I don’t know if he’s pulling his own feathers out or scaly mites. He’s the only one w the issue . Someone told me this breed does this. Any suggestions would be helpful

I’m having trouble w my roo. I don’t know if he’s pulling his own feathers out or scaly mites. He’s the only one w the issue . Someone told me this breed does this. Any suggestions would be helpful
I suggest you start your own thread on your rooster. Up at the top of this forum's front page is a green tab that says, "start a thread". Click on it and you're in business.

But to give you a suggestion for dealing with your rooster's legs, it's easy enough to see if a simple treatment for scaly mites could help. Get some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or some castor oil, which is thick as syrup, and coat his legs. This smothers the mites.

When you start your thread, take some photos of his legs, closeup, and to post, click on the paper clip in below the message window. It opens your files on your device. Select the photos, and click "open". That will post them here.

Back
Top Bottom