Salmon Faverolle

Mcook512

Songster
May 22, 2019
my hatchery (cackle) salmon Faverolles have a dark beard. I understand that is common in hatchery quality birds. I’m not breeding (no rooster) so no big worries that they are not show quality. Will the beard lighten as they age? Or will they always have a dark beard? I would love to see some pictures of your dark bearded favorelle ladies.

Attachments

• 842FB822-425E-4A7B-8657-4AEA715CC4F0.jpeg
    842FB822-425E-4A7B-8657-4AEA715CC4F0.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 40
What a beauty! I may need a male fav so I can have babies. If I could pick one breed to raise, this would be it.

Yes, they are good layers 5 to 6 eggs a week. My full sized girls lay around a 50g egg and smaller girls like Rene and her kids 35g.
They do go broody.
Very cold tolerant and do about as well as any other chicken in heat as long as they have shade and water they're fine. :)
Are these good layers? Are they cold hardy? how are they in the heat? I have space next year in my coop and want one of these...

Oh! A full coop is good and bad at the same time.
I'm in the same boat with 15 , Rene's kids took up the last few spots.:)View attachment 1894721
My coop is built for up to 15, so if she goes broody, I could possibly slip in 1 or 2 babies. I have 40 acres they free range, really stay on about 5-7 of those acres, so are basically only in the coop at night, and come to the run to get a drink or bite to eat.

Back
Top Bottom