Salmon favorelle roosters ... Temperament?

4kids*2dogs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Maine
It seems one of our "hens" is a roo. Does anyone have experience with salmon favorelle roosters? It will be the only male with 8 hens, one of which is a salmon favorelle pullet. Are they typically nice roosters? It is from a hatchery.

Last edited:
4kids*2dogs :

It seems one of our "hens" is a roo. Does anyone have experience with salmon favorelle roosters? It will be the only male with 8 hens, one of which is a salmon favorelle pullet. Are they typically nice roosters? It is from a hatchery.

Don't know about hatchery birds, but my boys are calm. But boys will be boys, when it comes to breeding season​

Quote:
Don't know about hatchery birds, but my boys are calm. But boys will be boys, when it comes to breeding season

So how quickly do you need to grab the eggs if they have been fertilized???

4kids*2dogs :

Are you positive it is a roo (as in crowing)? One hatchery I know of has some really mismarked pullets. Some from them have a LOT of black and make you think roo when it's just a badly colored girl.​

Quote:
Are you positive it is a roo (as in crowing)? One hatchery I know of has some really mismarked pullets. Some from them have a LOT of black and make you think roo when it's just a badly colored girl.

No, I am not certain but it is jet black and has all of the markings of a roo. Below are some photos if you would mind taking a guess. Most have said it is a rooster. They are 6 weeks old.

79980_spring_2011_004.jpg

79980_spring_2011_032.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a long time expert with Favs but I have had three Fav roosters. They were all a bit shy, but always nice roosters, never aggressive toward humans and on the low end of the pecking order with other roosters. I don't keep any aggressive roosters and have never had to send a Fav rooster away. I sold two to a breeder and still have the third. One rooster should be happy with eight hens.

Back
Top Bottom