Salmonella and BYC eggs

mboreham1

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Carmichael, CA
As far as I am aware, salmonella is a disease generally found in poop not actually IN an egg, in light of the recent mess with egg farm and egg recalls, how common is salmonella in back yard flocks, even in coops that are cleaned on a semi monthly basis?

Some of my eggs have small traces of faeces on them, i never wash them but now finding out that salmonella is in poop, is it much healthier to wash the eggs before consuming them?

I don't bother washing them most of the time. The most I will do is wipe them off. In any event, Salmonella should not be a problem unless you are eating the eggs raw.

Washing an egg actually increases bacterial infection risk - The egg naturally has a "blume," a protective coating on it. That's why hatching eggs are not washed.
wink.png

I don't think one would get salmonella from their own eggs unless eaten raw (really, I think they'd just get stomach sick, not salmonella) or in an exceedingly disgusting environment such as where store-bought eggs come from. Consider the ammonia levels, the feces everywhere, the dim lit environment, the heat. . .

i wasnt thinking i could actually get salmonella from my own little flock, i was more wondering about it being borne in the poop.

where does the salmonella actually come from? Is is "in" the chickens as a recessive disease that then finds an environment to thrive - re: mass egg farms? If an environment is actually clean does that ensure no salmonella?

From what I understand, Salmonella is found in small amounts just about everywhere. It's when conditions are favorable for it's growth (like Illia described) that it multiplies rapidly to high enough amounts to make us sick. Normally, we don't let conditions exist in our backyard flocks that will encourage the growth of Salmonella.
I think a lot of germs work the same way. They're everywhere but in small amounts usually.

eta: Salmonella is a germ, not a disease in chickens. They pick it up from the soil.

Last edited:
From what I understand it can actually be present in the birds reproductive tract and then get into the eggs but it is less likely in a backyard setting where the birds are less crowded. Even with factory hens it is not common but if you mix up a large batch like resturants do then one bad egg ruins the whole batch and if not cooked properly can make you sick. As long as you are cooking them well you shouln't get sick from any eggs. Washing can't kill the bacteria already inside the egg and makes it easier for new ones to get in.

Quote:
That is a good question. I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Wonder if i can take one to my vet and they can run a test?

Quote:
That is a good question. I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Wonder if i can take one to my vet and they can run a test?

Doesn't NPIP testing show if your birds have it or not?

Back
Top Bottom