Salmonella Clarification

tallyhoally

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I've had chickens for years. I have a healthy flock with very little problems. My 11 yr old daughter got salmonella poisioning recently after playing with 3 baby chicks (healthy looking)the feed store gave us as a replacement for something they owed us. We normally hatch our own. They went in the brooder and are still seperate. Kiddo got really sick both her and the chicks stool tested positive for salmonella. I called the feed store and asked if they would take the chicks back. They stated they thought ALL chicks/chickens had salmonella that's why you should be careful. I was wondering the validity of this statement. They are really nice and happy to take them back and we are not upset with them. Lesson learned for kiddo to wash her hands. If what they are saying is true i would just stick these pullets in with my flock after the appropriate amount of growth and seperation????? I'm not going to do that but was wondering???? Experience, Articles or research cited is appreciated. Do all chickens have salmonella?

“According to recent government data, 98.5% of whole chickens processed at large plants were found to be free of Salmonella” so most DO NOT have salmonella. Infected birds can and probably will spread it to other birds they are living with. There are antibacterial medications that can treat salmonella and you can also vaccinate your other chickens to prevent something like this in the future

Regardless, you should always wash your hands after handling birds, and never put them near your face. You never know what hidden illness they might have until you catch it! So although Salmonella is fixable threat, there are always other things they could give you. Just be thoughtful, and you and your chickens should stay healthy!

Do all chickens have salmonella?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Thank you for sharing this. Glad your daughter will be okay!

NO, ALL chickens do NOT carry salmonella though they CAN and that's why I buy only from NPIP tested flocks as they tend to be more stringent about their biosecurity.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...and-why-should-I-purchase-only-from-H350.aspx

Discuss with your supplier possibly switching their practice to only purchase NPIP chicks as well expressing what happened with your daughter and the difference between tested verses non tested flock. Take whatever printed documentation you can leave for them to review. Find the most convincing and easy to understand to share with them. Their initial thought MAY have been an acceptable answer but once you share YOUR new information with them.. they will surely want to take steps to protect their community that supports them! If one of my LFS purchases local birds from untested flocks.. I shop elsewhere.. I won't even buy hatchery chicks that were in the same room as too many diseases can pass too easily.

https://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/questions-answers-about-salmonella/

https://www.revealnews.org/article/10-things-to-know-before-you-eat-your-next-chicken-dinner/

https://www.wideopenpets.com/5-ways-prevent-salmonella-backyard-chickens/

https://www.chickencheck.in/faq/salmonella-cause-prevention/

Hope these links give interesting reads instead of being mumble jumble.. :fl

Yes, I would take those chicks back and NOT add them to my flock. How did they do the testing on the chick and how much did that cost you? Also, please add you general location to your profile as it will help folks make their most relevant suggestion possible at a glance.. and it will correlate things like the question I asked about cost with your location.

Also.. please note you say "healthy looking"... lot's of healthy looking things can be carrying harmful bacteria, viruses, protozoa.. that isn't effecting them kept in check by their own immune system... yet shedding harmful amounts of it to unsuspecting victims.. seeing how all these things works really gives a much clearer understanding of this Covid pandemic.. and good animal husbandry practices like not over crowding. Our actual perception is limited to what we see, smell, hear, touch, or taste. But our world is so much broader than that! :eek:

Last edited:
Regardless, you should always wash your hands after handling birds, and never put them near your face. You never know what hidden illness they might have until you catch it! So although Salmonella is fixable threat, there are always other things they could give you. Just be thoughtful, and you and your chickens should stay healthy!

Clearly...😂 But she's eleven and makes mistakes. Sometimes with icky consequences. She will ikely remember next time. 😬

We paid nothing for the chicks. The supplier is NPIP certified.
Ugh, to bad free hardly ever is in reality.

I would THINK the salmonella would be re-portable and the supplier should be having ALL their birds tested.. OR looking into what going on at the LFS.. did they somehow accidentally introduce it.. or is this not on the states list that the supplier is in to be tested for? Seems kinda stupid to me that each state has individual testing requirements.. they should be universal.. it renders the NPIP much less effective in my perception as well as confusing.. and the things that effect back yard flock the most aren't even considered re-portable.. like Marek's. I have very mixed feeling about NPIP but suppose I value what LITTLE protection it adds.. presuming ALL participant are actually following the rules! So many shady people and SOME states offer NPIP for free! :eek:

ETA: I did read that excerpt you're asking for a link to yesterday but for some reason it isn't showing you my search today. Here is another from the chicken council that talks a LITTLE about their testing procedure.. not enough to gather much but since they describe it a "whole chicken".. I wonder if they are swabbing or scraping the meat somehow and NOT have anything to do with fecal testing...
https://www.chickencheck.in/faq/salmonella-cause-prevention/

Last edited:
Hi there! I tried to look at this link and get a message that it is not available to international traffic or transactions! Would you summarize the 5 methods for prevention? I am quite concerned about this topic!
Sure! The main points I copied fro that link for prevention.. noting that just because chickens can carry Salmonella doesn't mean they are. E coli and other things MAY also be of concern..
Salmonella Smart Prevention No. 1: Wash your hands.

Salmonella Smart Prevention No. 2: No coop items in the house.

Salmonella Smart Prevention No. 3: Kid safety.

Young children are even more likely to put their hands in their mouths than adults, so the risk of Salmonella may be higher with kids. Look but don't touch is a good way to teach small children about interacting with backyard chickens. If that's not realistic, supervise them closely and be sure they wash their hands.

Salmonella Smart Prevention No. 4: No smooching.

Salmonella Smart Prevention No. 5: No food in or near the coop.

It's good to be aware of and concerned about issues that could arise. No need to be fear mongered though.. The things we face daily (and outr immune systems) which we can't perceive would BLOW our minds, life is so amazing and intricate! :)

ETA: those points were copied from that link, and not my own.

Back
Top Bottom