Salmonella Outbreak Warning~ Please read!

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
I just got this in the mail today from my Dept of Ag about a recent Salmonella at a hatchery on Ohio. People need to be aware and take precautions when handling baby poultry, now more than ever. This is affecting humans. Please read:

MagicMarcy66

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Orange County, California (Tustin)
That is really good to know because the two times I was out in the hen house with my hubby while he was cleaning it I got Salmonella. I was soooooooo sick for a week with it both times. So now I have to wear a mask when cleaning the coop because both times I picked it up by inhaling the dust. Go figure. I always knew the hens were a source of Salmonella but I never thought I would get it by being around the dust. So we all use masks now when cleaning there house.

Magic Marcy

chrismbhc

Hatching
7 Years
It took me some diggin' on the internet but looks like the source of the outbreak is Mt.Healthy. I have some chicks coming from Meyer's Hatchery in Ohio so I was a bit nervous when I heard "Ohio" in the news casts. Nonetheless, we should all be mindful that any bird can be infected. Wash dem hands....

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
I am in Ohio and it has been on news here.. it is my understanding they are looking at the Mt. Healthy Hatchery as being a potential source but it is not identified as the cause of the apparent few cases of salmonella. I would think of it this way.. one should ALWAYS wash hands after handling any type of animal! This is a given in animal husbandry! People tend to get paranoid too fast without knowing all the facts. I have ordered chicks before from Meyer hatchery and they are great.. would definately go back.. this year I just got chicks from TSC and local feed store.. who knows where they came from.. I know that after every time I handled them and cleaned up after them I washed my hands! No illness here! Truth be told I am more paranoid of the illness you can get from people than from animals! Just my 2 cents....

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
I am in Ohio and it has been on news here.. it is my understanding they are looking at the Mt. Healthy Hatchery as being a potential source but it is not identified as the cause of the apparent few cases of salmonella. I would think of it this way.. one should ALWAYS wash hands after handling any type of animal! This is a given in animal husbandry! People tend to get paranoid too fast without knowing all the facts. I have ordered chicks before from Meyer hatchery and they are great.. would definately go back.. this year I just got chicks from TSC and local feed store.. who knows where they came from.. I know that after every time I handled them and cleaned up after them I washed my hands! No illness here! Truth be told I am more paranoid of the illness you can get from people than from animals! Just my 2 cents....
Very true, but many ppl don't wash their hands after handling animals. I got Salmonella back in 2004, Twice in a row, from handling turtles. I'm a finger biter and forgot to wash my hands, so for me it was inevitable. I had to get rid of all my turtles. Finger chewers should not have turtles. :(

Top Bottom