Salmonella Outbreak Warning~ Please read!

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I just got this in the mail today from my Dept of Ag about a recent Salmonella at a hatchery on Ohio. People need to be aware and take precautions when handling baby poultry, now more than ever. This is affecting humans. Please read:

That is really good to know because the two times I was out in the hen house with my hubby while he was cleaning it I got Salmonella. I was soooooooo sick for a week with it both times. So now I have to wear a mask when cleaning the coop because both times I picked it up by inhaling the dust. Go figure. I always knew the hens were a source of Salmonella but I never thought I would get it by being around the dust. So we all use masks now when cleaning there house.

Magic Marcy

It took me some diggin' on the internet but looks like the source of the outbreak is Mt.Healthy. I have some chicks coming from Meyer's Hatchery in Ohio so I was a bit nervous when I heard "Ohio" in the news casts. Nonetheless, we should all be mindful that any bird can be infected. Wash dem hands....

I am in Ohio and it has been on news here.. it is my understanding they are looking at the Mt. Healthy Hatchery as being a potential source but it is not identified as the cause of the apparent few cases of salmonella. I would think of it this way.. one should ALWAYS wash hands after handling any type of animal! This is a given in animal husbandry! People tend to get paranoid too fast without knowing all the facts. I have ordered chicks before from Meyer hatchery and they are great.. would definately go back.. this year I just got chicks from TSC and local feed store.. who knows where they came from.. I know that after every time I handled them and cleaned up after them I washed my hands! No illness here! Truth be told I am more paranoid of the illness you can get from people than from animals! Just my 2 cents....

I am in Ohio and it has been on news here.. it is my understanding they are looking at the Mt. Healthy Hatchery as being a potential source but it is not identified as the cause of the apparent few cases of salmonella. I would think of it this way.. one should ALWAYS wash hands after handling any type of animal! This is a given in animal husbandry! People tend to get paranoid too fast without knowing all the facts. I have ordered chicks before from Meyer hatchery and they are great.. would definately go back.. this year I just got chicks from TSC and local feed store.. who knows where they came from.. I know that after every time I handled them and cleaned up after them I washed my hands! No illness here! Truth be told I am more paranoid of the illness you can get from people than from animals! Just my 2 cents....

Very true, but many ppl don't wash their hands after handling animals. I got Salmonella back in 2004, Twice in a row, from handling turtles. I'm a finger biter and forgot to wash my hands, so for me it was inevitable. I had to get rid of all my turtles. Finger chewers should not have turtles. :(

Back
Top Bottom