Salmonella, what is the cause?

Salmonella also causes diarrhea which just passes the stuff on like the birds on the lowest stack of cages...

Eggs pass through the same place as Ploop and Splort so that's how they would get infected.

To answer your question: I think that it's poor sanitation and crappy (pun intended) living conditions that cause most of the outbreaks.

And if you work around the animals you're more likely to be a carrier because you've basically immunized yourself by working with the animals.

Quote:
I didn't feel that you were either.
smile.png

Quote:
Only on the outside, which is not such a big issue as long as you use hygienic food handling practices. They *can*, however, (rarely), have salmonella in the INSIDE (the white and yolk) against which no amount of handwashing and sanitation will protect you... and that's from systemic salmonella in the bird, not from coming out the poo hole so to speak
wink.png

Pat

So with the eggs, since it sounds like most of the threat is from the exterior, would a bleach bath right before use be appropriate if you want to use eggs raw, like in a mayonnaise? I'd be bit concerned about flavoring the egg, but I don't know how quick the the bleach could move through the egg shell into the white. Of course bentodine (sp?) might avoid the whole smell/taste issue. Fact of the matter is though it seems like I have a better chance of getting sick because I didn't do a good job washing dishes last night than from the eggs for breakfast.

We use a hydrogen peroxide rinse on the outside of eggs for raw use.... like mayo or smoothies etc. I wouldn't like to use bleach simply because of the risk of it moving through and ending up eating it! Hydrogen peroxide has great knock down power for germs but is not toxic should some get through... hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom