Salmonella

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sequin, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    Do most chickens just naturally carry this bacteria? Or is it something they have to pick up from somewhere else? If they do have it, is it passed along into all their eggs? How can you get rid of it or treat for it? How do you know if they have it?

The reason I ask is because I fed a food to my dogs, and all 5 of them have varying degrees of illness after only 2 days, and a fecal sample showed unusually large numbers of rod shaped bacteria(salmonella is also rod shaped). This food has a recall, but not with the date code that is on my bag. Unfortunately, I did not Know about this recall when I bought the food, or else I would not have bought it no matter what the date code was.

However, IF I do try to pursue this as the dog food company's fault, I want to make sure I have a solid case and one that won't be easily dismissed. I also want to make sure that it doesn't get to my chickens and into the eggs I sell. I have been walking the dogs on the front of the property before this started happening - so hopefully we are containing it. But you all know how chickens are and how they like to roam etc.

TIA for all of your help, wisdom, and advice!!!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'd gey my chickens tested..just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by