Salt for calibrating a hygrometer

julieb41

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
The info on calibrating a hygrometer says to use Morton Canning salt, but I'm in the UK and can't find it, or any kind of canning salt. Can I use table salt, or sea salt instead?

The info on calibrating a hygrometer says to use Morton Canning salt, but I'm in the UK and can't find it, or any kind of canning salt. Can I use table salt, or sea salt instead?
I am researching this myself, i think regular table salt is fine, but I did read not to use iodized salt, didn't get a clear response yet as to the effect it would have on a reading. Anyone smarter then i?

I've found info on calibrating hygrometers on cigar websites which say regular table salt is fine, so I will go ahead and use that.

I recently calibrated my humidity controller. First time I failed by than I tried to do it in a different way:

IMO such method is better than using plastic bags.

I put my hygrometer in a bag with a container of salt/water slurry about 3 hours ago. It's registering 72% humidity.

Am I right that this is pretty decent? Should I wait a couple more hours?

Is a couple points off one way or the other worth being concerned over?

The purpose of calibrating a hygrometer is to find out exactly how far off it is. Did you follow the directions exactly regarding how much water and how much salt? If so, then you take the percentage you get, and compare it to what it is supposed to read. If it is supposed to be 75%, and yours says 73%, then you know that yours reads 2% low. I've never calibrated a hygrometer. But, the calibrated number means nothing if you don't use it. I do use a hygrometer (Incutherm) and am satisfied using that number along with keeping an eye on air cell size.

I'm in the process right now of calibrating 2 hygrometers for the 2nd time. The first time (yesterday) I used regular iodine salt...then read somewhere not to use it. I have some Kosher salt so back in the bag they sit. I'll know in a few more hours just how much of a difference the 2 salts will make for me. I'm guessing it will be minimal.
Drewnkat: I'd wait a couple more hours..it might go up even higher. It's very hard for me to be patient and when I get close to 75 I want to pull them out...but you have to give them time because they could go over..then you'd have to adjust down however many percent they are over 75.
My problem is I just don't trust them. It seems if I have 2 hygrometers even though they read a little different from each other...the spread between the 2 should always be the same right? Well they're not. It's making me crazy.

Last edited:
They both were 2% less with Kosher salt vs. iodine salt for me. Not a huge difference. I'm done calibrating. Setting eggs either late tonight or in the morning.

So I did wait another hour or so, just left it while I cooked supper.

It went up to 74%. I'm satisfied.

Not too shabby for a device ordered off Amazon that cost about ten bucks. The humidity in there has been around 25-30%, I'll candle again around day 14, and see if we need more humidity or the air cells are normal.

Back
Top Bottom