1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Salt for calibrating a hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by julieb41, Mar 31, 2015.

1. julieb41

julieb41 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    The info on calibrating a hygrometer says to use Morton Canning salt, but I'm in the UK and can't find it, or any kind of canning salt. Can I use table salt, or sea salt instead?

2. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    I am researching this myself, i think regular table salt is fine, but I did read not to use iodized salt, didn't get a clear response yet as to the effect it would have on a reading. Anyone smarter then i?

3. julieb41

julieb41 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    I've found info on calibrating hygrometers on cigar websites which say regular table salt is fine, so I will go ahead and use that.

4. chmby

chmby New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I recently calibrated my humidity controller. First time I failed by than I tried to do it in a different way:

[​IMG]

IMO such method is better than using plastic bags.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    That works as long as your hygrometer has a probe, but won't work if it doesn't!

6. Drewnkat

Drewnkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Georgia
    I put my hygrometer in a bag with a container of salt/water slurry about 3 hours ago. It's registering 72% humidity.

Am I right that this is pretty decent? Should I wait a couple more hours?

Is a couple points off one way or the other worth being concerned over?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The purpose of calibrating a hygrometer is to find out exactly how far off it is. Did you follow the directions exactly regarding how much water and how much salt? If so, then you take the percentage you get, and compare it to what it is supposed to read. If it is supposed to be 75%, and yours says 73%, then you know that yours reads 2% low. I've never calibrated a hygrometer. But, the calibrated number means nothing if you don't use it. I do use a hygrometer (Incutherm) and am satisfied using that number along with keeping an eye on air cell size.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pipe Dreaming

Pipe Dreaming Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Montrose, MI.
    I'm in the process right now of calibrating 2 hygrometers for the 2nd time. The first time (yesterday) I used regular iodine salt...then read somewhere not to use it. I have some Kosher salt so back in the bag they sit. I'll know in a few more hours just how much of a difference the 2 salts will make for me. I'm guessing it will be minimal.
    Drewnkat: I'd wait a couple more hours..it might go up even higher. It's very hard for me to be patient and when I get close to 75 I want to pull them out...but you have to give them time because they could go over..then you'd have to adjust down however many percent they are over 75.
    My problem is I just don't trust them. It seems if I have 2 hygrometers even though they read a little different from each other...the spread between the 2 should always be the same right? Well they're not. It's making me crazy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  9. Pipe Dreaming

Pipe Dreaming Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Montrose, MI.
    They both were 2% less with Kosher salt vs. iodine salt for me. Not a huge difference. I'm done calibrating. Setting eggs either late tonight or in the morning.

10. Drewnkat

Drewnkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Georgia
    So I did wait another hour or so, just left it while I cooked supper.

It went up to 74%. I'm satisfied.

Not too shabby for a device ordered off Amazon that cost about ten bucks. The humidity in there has been around 25-30%, I'll candle again around day 14, and see if we need more humidity or the air cells are normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by