Salt in a water bottle

I've never heard of that one. But salt isn't good for chickens anyway.
welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under CluckingChic
frow.gif
Welcome!

Did you mean putting an enclosed bottle of salt water into a water container, such that the salt water does not actually contaminate the fresh water?

Salt water requires a lower freezing point than fresh water; the saltier the water, the lower the temperature needs to be for it to freeze.

I have not heard of it but I am guessing that the theory behind it might be that the salt water is not freezing and remains warmer than the outside fresh water; thus slightly increasing the temperature of the surrounding fresh water and stopping it from freezing
hu.gif

It would be a good experiment to try.

As Diva mentioned, salt excess is not good for chickens.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Actually, it's the bottle of water bobbing around in the water creating movement that keeps the drinking water from freezing as fast...

Only heard of salt being put in the bottle recently, but dunno how much that would help...

Hey Ravyn thanks .. I did wonder about that also but thought that it would not be bobbing for long in stationary water?

Interesting stuff but not something we need to worry about here in Aus; we are usually adding ice not preventing it
wink.png

Hey Ravyn thanks .. I did wonder about that also but thought that it would not be bobbing for long in stationary water?  

Interesting stuff but not something we need to worry about here in Aus; we are usually adding ice not preventing it ;)

lol! I bet! I have a friend in Kingaroy, said her kids Christmas pressie was a big pool... :D

It's mostly used in livestock tanks, so each time they drink, they tend to bump or 'play' with the bottle and set it off again... doesn't stop it from freezing, especially in extremely low temps, but it does slow it down...

lol! I bet! I have a friend in Kingaroy, said her kids Christmas pressie was a big pool...
big_smile.png

It's mostly used in livestock tanks, so each time they drink, they tend to bump or 'play' with the bottle and set it off again... doesn't stop it from freezing, especially in extremely low temps, but it does slow it down...

Ah, OK, cool .. that makes sense.

So, it is probably not going to work in chicken water because there is nothing to bounce it around.

You learn something new every day and I was not even the OP lol.

I am jealous, I want a pool!
wink.png

Ah, OK, cool .. that makes sense.

So, it is probably not going to work in chicken water because there is nothing to bounce it around.

You learn something new every day and I was not even the OP lol.  

I am jealous, I want a pool! ;)

Yeah, I hadn't heard of it with chickens, dunno if they'd peck at it or not?? Ducks would though, lol...

The day I stop learning is the day I stop everything... ;)

So do I!

Back
Top Bottom