salt in the water after butchering?

firstbatch

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
I am sure this has been asked before, we will be inviting our meaties to the freezer this weekend. Last year we let them rest in ice water for about 3 days before final cutting and into freezer, we did not use salt in the water. Any opinions on that? I am thinking I want to try it this year. If so, how much salt to water? We have 35 birds. This is our 2nd year/batch doing this.

Also, at one time on this site I saw a wonderful (graphic) post on how to process the chicken start to finish....anyone know what I am talking about and how to find it? I am a little challenged on all things computer so if you can direct me to the right place I would really appreciate it.

ok, so saw the 'notable archives' across the top and found the one i was looking for regarding the processing. Sorry about that. Would still like input on if anyone adds anything to the water while the birds are resting before the freezer...

I know some people brine their birds before packaging but we don't. We sell ours so I leave all that up to the customer if they want to brine their bird. I don't brine any that we keep for ourselves either. Just haven't found that it is needed.

Yes, I salt the icewater the birds chill in right after processing. Can't remember for sure but I think it was maybe 1/2 cup salt per gallon. I wouldn't leave them in a brine too long or they might absorb too much salt; maybe up to 12 hours or so. After that I like to get them out of the water anyway and let the meat dry a little. I put block ice in coolers and set the birds on top of that.

thanks to both of you for the replies. I hadn't expected them so quick
smile.png
probably a good idea to get them out of the water after the first little bit...do you set them directly on the block ice? Last year we didnt salt the water, was wanting to compare a little I guess. Thanks again.

we leave in water for an hour or two, just to cool it down. then we take it out of the water and cool dry.

i don't know how you would do it if you didn't have a cooler (as in walk-in cooler, not thermos) or room in your fridge.

after a cool overnight, they get frozen

I only use about 1 to 3 teaspoons (or 1 tablespoon maximum) salt per gallon. Anything more is too much for our tastes, several people in my household are on low sodium diets for health reasons. I would leave it no longer than about 2 hours in the salt water.

The salt helps to draw out the "gunk".

Adding a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the water helps, too.

This makes the meat less "strong" tasting.

We brine, but instead of keeping chickens whole, we break them into parts, leg quarters, breasts, wings and spines for stockmaking. Unless you plan on roasting the bird whole, break it down, it takes less space and is eaier to work with.

I just put ours in a icy watery bath for about an hour before I butcher them up. It seems like the only thing I put in a brine is fish, why I don't know. I have been doing it that way for the last 40 years.

I brined the last quail I dispatched and left them in it for 3 days. The meat looked almost white even though they are usually pretty dark and it was really tasty. I'm trying this on the next chicken I cull but it will be a while before that happens unless teenage boy chicken messes up.

Back
Top Bottom