salt in the water after butchering?

we have several large coolers that we use when we go elk hunting to keep the elk on ice til we get it home and hung in the walk in cooler. We use those coolers to let our chickens rest between butcher and final cut up into the freezer. it was in those i was considering doing a salt bath of sorts. I am thinking let them sit in a saltwater bath for up to 12 hours and then let them chill on ice for another 2 days. I do cut them up prior to freezing, except the nicest ones i want to save for roasting. I just wasn't sure of the amount of salt or the length of soak time.

A well done brine is amazing. It can make the juiciest white meat possible, I think. You have to experiment with amount of salt and time. It takes alot less for cut up pieces, because they absorb it faster. I would start on the low side and experiment. It's easy to over do, and then you'll be eating very salty chicken.

thanks Dan, that is what i am afraid of - salty chicken....i want to experiment, but dont want to ruin any meat! We only eat meat we raise ourselves or hunt ourselves - so the stakes are high if we ruin several chickens.

Back
Top Bottom