Salutations! Hello! Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SonoranChick, Sep 20, 2014.

1. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Hi everybody! I am fairly new to raising chickens, and this is my first post. After stalking backyard chickens for months, I decided it was time to just give in and join :) I am the proud owner of two true black Ameraucanas, and three mutts (leghorn dad, RIR mom). No one is laying (yet!) but I am excited to see what happens. My Ameraucanas are 24 weeks old today, and my easter eggers are 15 weeks. And in case you're still reading...I live in the southern Arizona desert and found two diamondback rattlesnakes in my coop this morning! :sick Hubby shot them both, we sealed all holes...everyone is ok! It is a daily adventure. Perhaps the snakes would explain my lack of eggs?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes snakes are very good at sneaking eggs. I would bet that is why you haven't gotten eggs.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock. Good luck with them.

3. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Thank you for the response! I had a feeling. I thought maybe I had some late layers ( which I suppose is normal with Ameraucanas). But after seeing the little egg shaped lumps I the snake...I think you're right. Sneaky, scheming snakes! :barnie

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    That leghorn/RIR mix is going to be a super duper layer!

5. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    I'm hoping :yesss:

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are much braver than I am - if I saw any snake in the coop I would never go back [​IMG] Maybe you should get a livestock guardian mongoose.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad you were able to rescue your chickens from the rattlesnakes. I hope you are using hardware cloth on your coop instead of chicken wire as there are just too many predators that can tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh (snakes being but one example). Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in predator proofing your coop.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm glad to hear that your chickens and you were unscathed by the rattlesnakes!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Scary stuff!! Yes, snakes are attracted to eggs! Make sure even the tiniest of holes are sealed. Even mice can cause issues in the coop. I had a rock rattler in the quail aviary many many years back. Had the quail not been circling the snake, I probably wouldn't have seen it and stepped right on it.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by