Salutations! Hello! Hi!

SonoranChick

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Southern AZ
Hi everybody! I am fairly new to raising chickens, and this is my first post. After stalking backyard chickens for months, I decided it was time to just give in and join :) I am the proud owner of two true black Ameraucanas, and three mutts (leghorn dad, RIR mom). No one is laying (yet!) but I am excited to see what happens. My Ameraucanas are 24 weeks old today, and my easter eggers are 15 weeks. And in case you're still reading...I live in the southern Arizona desert and found two diamondback rattlesnakes in my coop this morning! :sick Hubby shot them both, we sealed all holes...everyone is ok! It is a daily adventure. Perhaps the snakes would explain my lack of eggs?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes snakes are very good at sneaking eggs. I would bet that is why you haven't gotten eggs.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock. Good luck with them.

Thank you for the response! I had a feeling. I thought maybe I had some late layers ( which I suppose is normal with Ameraucanas). But after seeing the little egg shaped lumps I the snake...I think you're right. Sneaky, scheming snakes! :barnie

You are much braver than I am - if I saw any snake in the coop I would never go back
hide.gif
Maybe you should get a livestock guardian mongoose.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad you were able to rescue your chickens from the rattlesnakes. I hope you are using hardware cloth on your coop instead of chicken wire as there are just too many predators that can tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh (snakes being but one example). Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in predator proofing your coop.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm glad to hear that your chickens and you were unscathed by the rattlesnakes!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Scary stuff!! Yes, snakes are attracted to eggs! Make sure even the tiniest of holes are sealed. Even mice can cause issues in the coop. I had a rock rattler in the quail aviary many many years back. Had the quail not been circling the snake, I probably wouldn't have seen it and stepped right on it.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours1

Back
Top Bottom