Salutations!

bonjourbunnie

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
Hello! My name is Jennifer, and I am actively raising my first batch of chicks as an adult in Western Kentucky. We raised some growing up, albeit not incredibly successfully, but it has inspired a lifelong appreciation of the modern yard raptor. We are working to be a bit more self sustaining now that we have property to do so, and we are starting with chicks.

I brought home my first 15 chicks and two turkeys on the 10th. I very sadly lost one chick a week and a half after arrival, but the rest seem to be doing well, mostly thanks to the amazing advice and community here! I even feel confident that I did all I could to help little Gus, who arrived quite small and in pain (erect posture, steady peeping, a poopy butt - the works), because of the insight and wisdom that I found here, despite the ending not going as I'd hoped for the little fella. I've already spent so many (sleepless) hours pouring over the wealth of information available here that you have all so kindly shared, doing my best to catch up on the incredible amount of learning that has come with this adventure so far. Thanks to this forum, and many hours of anxiety fueled, furious searches, my other two chicks that arrived home weak are now thriving, with the very smallest of them (Ms. Kitty) even seeming to have a pretty high rank in the little gaggle I've got her brooded with!

My starter flock is a combination of Easter Eggers, Mystic Onyx, New Hampshire, and Wyandotte, and my turkeys are bronze breasted. We had some Easter Eggers in our flocks growing up, but I have never had any of the other varieties. I am very much in love with watching them grow and develop their different personalities and ways of going about the day, as I usually am with animals. So far, my New Hampshire and turkeys are winding up being absolute attention hogs, as well as the Mystic Onyx female I had to fight back from some killer pasty butt, but there is not really a shy one left in the bunch, to tell you the truth! Disappointingly, it seems like most of my Easter Eggers are males. :'D I was hoping for some colorful eggs, but I may have to wait until next year to get those girls together, it's seeming like. 🤣

Outside of my new chicken obsession, I read tarot professionally, and am working on streaming videogames and readings for YouTube, as well (separate channels, of course, lol!). I am a freestyle, modern poet with some published pieces, and plans to eventually have whole books, once I get the courage to get them out there gathered together. I have a variety of disabilities that making working a 9-5 hard, including anxiety and agoraphobia, but I am very eager to begin work raising happy, healthy animals. I've found that I am much more able to get outside if an animal needs me to, even if it can be stressful. I also have two large breed dogs, some cats, and we will be adding rabbits to the household soon, as well, which I have a good amount of experience in, after raising a variety of breeds as a teenager for show.

I am sure I will continue to be perusing the various resources here as my anxiety motivates me to burrow into a rabbit hole - like how I spent two days terrified my chicks had malabsorption before I logic-ed my way into calling a friend with much more experience than me (it was just cocci 🤣), or flustered about why one of my Easter Eggers is still entirely downy but heckin' big (it's just delayed feathering, and many of ya'll seem to say it means he'll be a real looker!). I am incredibly grateful for this space. You have all seriously helped improve my little one's early life experience, and have helped me feel like I am doing a better job taking care of them than I did when they first arrived, that's for sure.

giphy.gif

Hello! My name is Jennifer, and I am actively raising my first batch of chicks as an adult in Western Kentucky. We raised some growing up, albeit not incredibly successfully, but it has inspired a lifelong appreciation of the modern yard raptor. We are working to be a bit more self sustaining now that we have property to do so, and we are starting with chicks.

I brought home my first 15 chicks and two turkeys on the 10th. I very sadly lost one chick a week and a half after arrival, but the rest seem to be doing well, mostly thanks to the amazing advice and community here! I even feel confident that I did all I could to help little Gus, who arrived quite small and in pain (erect posture, steady peeping, a poopy butt - the works), because of the insight and wisdom that I found here, despite the ending not going as I'd hoped for the little fella. I've already spent so many (sleepless) hours pouring over the wealth of information available here that you have all so kindly shared, doing my best to catch up on the incredible amount of learning that has come with this adventure so far. Thanks to this forum, and many hours of anxiety fueled, furious searches, my other two chicks that arrived home weak are now thriving, with the very smallest of them (Ms. Kitty) even seeming to have a pretty high rank in the little gaggle I've got her brooded with!

My starter flock is a combination of Easter Eggers, Mystic Onyx, New Hampshire, and Wyandotte, and my turkeys are bronze breasted. We had some Easter Eggers in our flocks growing up, but I have never had any of the other varieties. I am very much in love with watching them grow and develop their different personalities and ways of going about the day, as I usually am with animals. So far, my New Hampshire and turkeys are winding up being absolute attention hogs, as well as the Mystic Onyx female I had to fight back from some killer pasty butt, but there is not really a shy one left in the bunch, to tell you the truth! Disappointingly, it seems like most of my Easter Eggers are males. :'D I was hoping for some colorful eggs, but I may have to wait until next year to get those girls together, it's seeming like. 🤣

Outside of my new chicken obsession, I read tarot professionally, and am working on streaming videogames and readings for YouTube, as well (separate channels, of course, lol!). I am a freestyle, modern poet with some published pieces, and plans to eventually have whole books, once I get the courage to get them out there gathered together. I have a variety of disabilities that making working a 9-5 hard, including anxiety and agoraphobia, but I am very eager to begin work raising happy, healthy animals. I've found that I am much more able to get outside if an animal needs me to, even if it can be stressful. I also have two large breed dogs, some cats, and we will be adding rabbits to the household soon, as well, which I have a good amount of experience in, after raising a variety of breeds as a teenager for show.

I am sure I will continue to be perusing the various resources here as my anxiety motivates me to burrow into a rabbit hole - like how I spent two days terrified my chicks had malabsorption before I logic-ed my way into calling a friend with much more experience than me (it was just cocci 🤣), or flustered about why one of my Easter Eggers is still entirely downy but heckin' big (it's just delayed feathering, and many of ya'll seem to say it means he'll be a real looker!). I am incredibly grateful for this space. You have all seriously helped improve my little one's early life experience, and have helped me feel like I am doing a better job taking care of them than I did when they first arrived, that's for sure.

Welcome to BYC!! :)

Back
Top Bottom