Same chicken laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NorthChicken, Feb 18, 2014.

1. NorthChicken

NorthChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure if this is a new layer thing, or if I have 2 chickens laying. The first egg I got last week was laid in the late morning, between 10am-noon. The next day was nothing. The third day there was an egg around 9am. 4th day, not sure as I got home from work at 5pm and there was an egg. On Sunday, there was an egg laid between 2pm-3:30pm. Monday, no egg. Today, there was an egg laid around 8:30am.

So what gives? I thought chickens were supposed to lay an hour later each day? Or does it take time for their bodies to come up with a schedule? Or do I maybe have several layers? (The eggs all look identical in size and color, thus the reason I figured it is the same chicken laying) But wouldn't I be getting 2 eggs a day occasionally if there were 2 chickens laying?

Very confused! But still happy I have at least one layer, loving these fresh eggs! I have 6 chickens, I hope they all get on the egg laying wagon as well, my family of 4 is fighting over who gets the fresh egg every day! [​IMG]

2. ampho

ampho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Northern NJ
    I have new layers too, every day is different, Have been finding usually two a day, one under my tupperware stool (none in nest boxes), and one randomly on the ground (shavings), every other day one or two soft shelled on the poop board. This morning found my larger buff under the stool so I assume she is one of the hard shelled layers! (first egg double yolk), I guess it takes a while for them to develop a rhythm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by