Same chicken?

Wendy Case

Songster
Dec 27, 2018
Rowen Farms, Alicel, OR
5251E836-AE68-410E-8363-A27AA40E4B77.jpeg

I've had one of my older EEs miss putting on the brown coating before, all of a sudden. One day, she laid a yellowish green, the next egg was greenish blue, and she continued to lay eggs that colour for a while. I'd say it was a few weeks, but I didn't keep track of it, and this was a couple years ago. I know they were hers because she had a peculiar tendency of putting a huge deposit of calcium lumps on top of the egg. Pretty unmistakable.

Her "blue" eggs weren't speckled, mind you. And after moult, they were back to being green.

Hmm, that's strange, as the only other layers I have are a blue Maran I've had since fall and hasn't laid yet, a gold laced Wyandotte who's laid consistently through winter. A silver laced Wyandotte old girl and ofcourse my cream legbar.
I'm at a loss.:idunno
So there's your answer. Process of elimination. Anything without the blue egg gene wouldn't lay either of those eggs. So they are from the same bird.
Sometimes pigment won't be applied consistently. That's where the speckling comes from.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom