Same conditions- why do I occasionally get a deformed/thin-shelled egg?

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
My chickens get layer feed (inside the coop) and Flock Raiser (outside the coop).
They have a separate bowl for oyster shells.
Why do I sometimes get a deformed or thin-shelled egg?
Is this a calcium deficiency or should I look into other possible issues?

They are all Australorps, about 6months old and I get said type of egg about once every 2 weeks or so.

Do they eat the oyster shells? You could also try giving them milk to eat. I think it has to do with a loss of something might not be calcium... You can find lots of info online... Anything high in calcium. My chickens don't like oyster shells so I give them lots of scraps and they free range our five acres and collect all the nutrition they need

Do they eat the oyster shells? You could also try giving them milk to eat. I think it has to do with a loss of something might not be calcium... You can find lots of info online... Anything high in calcium. My chickens don't like oyster shells so I give them lots of scraps and they free range our five acres and collect all the nutrition they need
Here's a different one laid by one of our best layers -- check out the white speckles! What might have caused them? From an 11-month-old BR. The egg inside looked and tasted fine.

Back
Top Bottom