Same hatch chickens died

HealthyFlock

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2020
July hatched chicks
One has just started laying and other has been very vocal and a cockerel just started getting hormones all died within a day
They were fine
And the next day they became lethergic and had watery poop and breathing heavy and puffed up and I fed them warm water and feed and bring them inside
Next day all three died sitting close to each other

I dont know the reason ??
Its been 2 days
I have hens with chicks and rooster in adjacent coop
Other are fine
Why same batch chickens died in same day ?

July hatched chicks
One has just started laying and other has been very vocal and a cockerel just started getting hormones all died within a day
They were fine
And the next day they became lethergic and had watery poop and breathing heavy and puffed up and I fed them warm water and feed and bring them inside
Next day all three died sitting close to each other

I dont know the reason ??
Its been 2 days
I have hens with chicks and rooster in adjacent coop
Other are fine
Why same batch chickens died in same day ?
Are the two flocks kept totally separate? Are they fed the same feed? Is there any chance they could have eaten something toxic? Is there any way you can send a body for necropsy? At this rate, all you will ever have is a guess unless you can send them in. Perhaps call a vet and see if they have recommendations?

They ate the same feed
Rooster too slept in coop with them
He is fine
If this is a disease why only they have died
And it cant be poison
About fifty neghbour chicken roam with my chickens none has died or reported poisoned

I buried them
I put the carcass in soil and cover it with soil and pressed the soil I heard horn sound or gasping is it because of dead body or some disease ??
What happened to them ?? ANYone ??

There is no way to know for sure what they died of without a necropsy. There are a lot of things that it could have been. Toxins would be suspect when you have several that die quickly with the same symptoms, those can come from all kinds of places, a plant that just came up where they could get it, fluids leaking from machinery, something left in the wrong place. It happens. If you lose another under similar circumstances, I would recommend you have that bird necropsied. I would still look carefully around the area(s) they have access to to check for anything that may have gone unnoticed, check feed in bags or bins, it doesn't hurt to look.
For the horn sound, if you pressed hard enough to cause air to be forced up the trachea, then that was likely the sound. Same way a rooster (or hen) crows. I've had it happen to birds I was processing. It can be startling, but it's normal.

Sorry for your loss. Where are you located in the world? Can you look at and smell your chicken feed in case it might have gotten wet from some water drops and molded? In the US, you can contact your atate poultry lab for a necropsy to find a cause of death, which might prevent more deaths. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom