San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I'm wondering if I just got cheated!!!! I paid this person (Classified: 12+ eggs from Naked Neck Frizzle Green-Eggers (blue, splash, black)) for eggs last week and she told me she'd mail them out 4/28. I've emailed her twice to ask if my eggs made it out into the mail and she's not responding. I think I'm gonna cry
hit.gif

DDD is TOTALLY solid.
Something may have come up.

Hens not laying, personal stuff (she is super busy). You know how life is.
It should work out fine in the end.

Got a call just now from the 'rents. Apparently, when they went to check on the chickens, one of them had passed away. They couldn't keep it any longer for me to perform a necropsy since it already smelled horrible according to my mother. (I return home from school tomorrow)

Well, she was in the middle of integrating into the flock so...

Hello there!!

I'm Amanda & I live in Yucaipa, which is in San Bernardino County BUT I have family in SD & spend lots of time down there..... so if you don't mind I'd love to join in on the thread?

Hello there!!

I'm Amanda & I live in Yucaipa, which is in San Bernardino County BUT I have family in SD & spend lots of time down there..... so if you don't mind I'd love to join in on the thread?
Hey Hi from the San diego High desert. I have had family ... um er may have some cousins in the Yucaipa area... I was born in Colton
Welcome aboard. I also have some family in the Ridgecrest/Inyokern area.

deb

Hi Amanda,
I'm in Mira Loma, which even though it sounds like it should be in San Diego (people have asked me frequently), it is north of Norco & I'm on the San Diego group as well. I have met a few wonderful chicken friends in that area because I deliver organic Scratch & Peck feeds to them every other month. When we got our first chickens a little over a year ago if someone had told me that I would be known to other people's kids as the *chicken feed lady* sitting on chicken message boards talking about chickens all the time I would have laughed at them, but here I am.

We have a friend, who also has chickens, who lives in Yucaipa, & I know a couple other chicken people there as well. Glad to have someone else from my neck of the woods invading this county's board :) I am considering going to the SD BYC meetup in Ramona June 7th so I can meet more SD chicken friends.

Our family coordinates a family conference for Above Rubies magazine every August in Pine Valley & know lots of SD families from that & we go to Legoland a lot & have had SD Zoo passes off & on & attend Comic Con every year so I feel like San Diego county is a "second home".

I'm also on the "California-Southern" board & there are people there who also attend the SD events as well!

Welcome aboard!

Trish
www.thehappyhealthychicken.com

Hi Trish & Knock Kneed Hen!

We have family in Carmel Valley & close to Downtown as well. Trish, I think that's so cool about you becoming the "chicken feed lady" - I"ll have to get some from you sometime, too!?

I just recently got back into chickens with the STRONG encouragement of my 3.5 year old son. The little guy had been asking for baby chicks for no less than 18 months!! Not a puppy, or a kitten, or something "normal" but CHICKENS! LOL... we picked up 4 little munchkins from the local feed store, they were SUPPOSED to be sexed pullets & I'm afraid our Golden Sex-Link is turning out to be a rooster. Go figure?

I'm really nervous because although I have the space & there are no ordinances against roosters in my city (unless they're a nuisance) I'm afraid "he's going to get mean. I've been looking around for a place to rehome him, but it looks like rehoming a noisy, or naughty rooster is nearly impossible. He's being raised as a pet & we don't have the heart to send him somewhere where he'll be eaten or have to defend himself from predators.

I so wanted this to be a good experience for my son & I'm just dying inside over the dilemma... I know we can't protect our kids from everything, but Pineapple (our very possible roo) is my son's just absolute favorite bird. Just yesterday he wanted to take Pineapple with us in the car to go on a quick errand.

SO!! That's my story! Nice to meet you girls <3

Hi Trish & Knock Kneed Hen!

We have family in Carmel Valley & close to Downtown as well.  Trish, I think that's so cool about you becoming the "chicken feed lady" - I"ll have to get some from you sometime, too!?

I just recently got back into chickens with the STRONG encouragement of my 3.5 year old son.  The little guy had been asking for baby chicks for no less than 18 months!!  Not a puppy, or a kitten, or something "normal" but CHICKENS!  LOL... we picked up 4 little munchkins from the local feed store, they were SUPPOSED to be sexed pullets & I'm afraid our Golden Sex-Link is turning out to be a rooster.  Go figure?  

I'm really nervous because although I have the space & there are no ordinances against roosters in my city (unless they're a nuisance) I'm afraid "he's going to get mean.  I've been looking around for a place to rehome him, but it looks like rehoming a noisy, or naughty rooster is nearly impossible.  He's being raised as a pet & we don't have the heart to send him somewhere where he'll be eaten or have to defend himself from predators.

I so wanted this to be a good experience for my son & I'm just dying inside over the dilemma... I know we can't protect our kids from everything, but Pineapple (our very possible roo) is my son's just absolute favorite bird.  Just yesterday he wanted to take Pineapple with us in the car to go on a quick errand.  

SO!!  That's my story!  Nice to meet you girls <3

My 2 year old has had such a wonderful experience with our chickens. The birds love her and it has made her much more comfortable around animals in general. We always joke about how she can catch the chickens the best.

We had to rehome 2 roosters. I'm not allowed any. Both of them I would have loved to keep. We also culled one rooster, but he was not nice. I hope your experience is wonderful like ours has been.

Back
Top Bottom