San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:
I have one BIG horse and four goats. Two horse slant load I can cram the goats in the tack room and we are good to go.

One thing to note as we go into fire season prepare:

Locate collars or halters and leashes and leads have them ready.

My goats are de horned so I use a no choke collar on them. No buckle they just slip on over the head but the place you attach a lead causes the collar to close up without choking so you can tie them without them choking themselves or getting loose.

Identification Encase you get cut off from your animals. :

White tape on a halter with horses name on it.
Luggage tags with identification on all collars and halters or equivalent.
Marking animals with spray paint also.... phone number contact info. Any means possible and the hair grows out.

Be aware not all blankets are fire retardant or even resistant..... double check.

Any special meds put them together in one place so you can grab and go.

Kennels for dogs and cats too have them put together and in good working order.

Take a little time this time of year for a refresher on loading your horse. Give him a ride around the block with Yummy stuff to nibble on. Young foals can be lifted but if you have a youngster that is to big to be manhandled you can use a spray bottle of water to encourage them to lift their feet.... work with the back feet if you can keep them from locking up they will go in. I know a rescuer in the cedar fire that was working with a colt behind the lines that did this and was able to get out before a wall of flame over took them.

Sometimes the only way to get mom in the trailer is to get the colt in. What ever works.

I was evacuated with the family twice during the Cedar fire..... My Percheron Mare once. My trainer packed her in a four horse trailer with five other horses.... No partitions and took them to Imperial beach where an evac paddock had been established. I didn't have a horse trailer then.....

Hope it never happens but being prepared goes very far toward assuaging any fears you might have. There is a tremendous group of volunteers available during times of fire and I have seen them at work since 1967.

Last edited:
Stay safe everyone, let me know if I can help with anything.
hugs.gif

I evacuated the last two fires. I helped people all day move their horses to safety and took my last load down in the dark (it was the first time I ever pulled a horse trailer, full and heading down Banner grade!
ep.gif

I made sure everyone got home safely after the fire . . . BUT my gelding wouldn't load!!! Suddenly nobody was around to help me. I went down several times by myself but no luck. I ended up having to hire a trainer to help me.
somad.gif

I need to buy more crates since I've added to my animal collection
hide.gif
This is the down side to living in the back country. But from we learned the last fire, is it can happen anywhere.

Hey guys, good news; I know some of us aren't reordering because of issues with the feed being powdery... Some of the individuals I haven't seen on lately, but anywho, I talked with the MM rep and he said for anyone that didn't order this time around because of problems with powdery feed he will give each person a free 25# bag of feed of their choice... Please let me know as I can still tack on the order as the pallet wasn't full.

Thanks and hope this helps!

Wow... that's some seriously great customer service. We should also be prepared to see a few weevils in the feed; this was on MM's Facebook page a little while back:

Hey everyone! It's that time of year again! There are weeviles are here! They're in the feed, but do not worry! Chickens LOVE them! They're a natural source of protein. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about them. We're organic and of course that means we cannot spray for them. As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to call our office at 209-523-9167

No big deal as far as I'm concerned, but don't want anyone to be surprised. My girls caught (and were fighting over) a mouse this morning - gag. They may enjoy some extra protein!

sickbyc.gif

Looks like things are improving up in Julian!

Thanks again Cari for organizing this feed buy; I think I might have to bring my open trailer to get all of mine home. If anybody can't pick theirs up and want me to bring it back to Ramona, let me know.

Haha I don't mind weevils in the chicken feed.... better weevils than poison!

In fact did you know that According to the FDA, typical HUMAN foods contain about 10 percent "natural contaminates".

WHEAT FLOUR averages 75 or more insect fragments per 50 grams, and the FDA states:
In fact, so common are these contaminants that the FDA has published a booklet detailing the so-called "Food Defect Action Levels," which were needed, according to the FDA, " ...because it is economically impractical to grow, harvest, or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring, unavoidable defects."

And also says:​
"They're actually pretty healthy," says Dr. Philip Nixon, an entomologist at the University of Illinois, in regard to insects, "If we were more willing to accept certain defect levels such as insects and insect parts, growers could reduce pesticide usage. Some of the spraying that goes on is directly related to the aesthetics of our food."

ep.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
And also says:
"They're actually pretty healthy," says Dr. Philip Nixon, an entomologist at the University of Illinois, in regard to insects, "If we were more willing to accept certain defect levels such as insects and insect parts, growers could reduce pesticide usage. Some of the spraying that goes on is directly related to the aesthetics of our food."

ep.gif

Dr. Oz said rat hair is normal and accepted in some processed foods, for HUMANS!!.

Back
Top Bottom