San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I need a stiff drink after hearing about your day Deb!! You sure have a lot to handle on your own. I guess I won't complain about the wind any more.

LOL.... It wouldnt be so bad If I lived there. Hey.... Good news. Mom decided I need a barn. So in three weeks I get a 24 x 24 all steel shelter made by MGD. What it will do is give me a runin shed for the horse and space allocated for the goats (eventually). Andd give me a place I can store hay and keep it dry.

deb

LOL.... It wouldnt be so bad If I lived there.    Hey.... Good news.  Mom decided I need a barn.  So in three weeks I get a 24 x 24 all steel shelter made by MGD.    What it will do is give me a runin shed for the horse and space allocated for the goats (eventually).  Andd give me a place I can store hay and keep it dry.

deb
That's wonderful Deb! What a generous and kind gift. :clap

***GONE***Free Baby Crib -could be used as a grow out pen or the slatted sides used to make a pen to separate a broody. I have to pick it up locally today so if you're interested let me know and I'll grab it for you.***GONE***

Last edited:
You have to do it through the tools on the BYC editor. If you have a url link then cut and paste in the url image down load space. If you have one on your desk top you have to choose your computer and it will offer a space to browse your computer.

looking forward to seeing your pictures.

deb
Thanks Deb- The pictures are on my computer, and I did try to upload them through the BYC editor. I've always been able to in the past, but not now. It's probably my computer. I'm limping along on an old laptop with no button on the "m" and the "e" and "n" worn blank, and no sound except for an annoying beep when I do something the computer doesn't approve of, but it's from a business I'm working to close down and I will not replace it until I finish that daunting chore!

Speaking of daunting chores, I'm impressed with how you handle your farm! I am overwhelmed with 6 dogs and 13 chickens and less than an acre...but it will be better when the fencing is done. Now all I need to do is find a pile of money somewhere that I'd forgotten about...

Urgh!!!

I'm so bummed, I can't make the 29th either. I work at a local yarn shop and we are having a breast cancer event that day. This is always a busy time for me, with birthdays and anniversaries in October. I'm anxious to get more chickens too, none of mine are laying and its making me cranky to buy eggs!!! My bantam hasn't laid since molting about 8 wks ago, my Aust goes broody every two weeks adn then doesn't lay for a month and my 6 chicks are only 16 wks....so soon! Anyway, I'm excited to hear about it, and hopefully I'll be at the next one!!!

Thought I would post pictures of my, MEATBALLS", or Bantam Cornish flock. I have to say, that these little gnomes make the best SUBURAN BACKYARD CHICKENS. The hens lay about an egg a day, like going broody and the cocks crow is, Asil in nature, therefore short and Baritone. If handled regularly they are super docile.

They are fun to watch

Thought I would post pictures of my, MEATBALLS", or Bantam Cornish flock. I have to say, that these little gnomes make the best SUBURAN BACKYARD CHICKENS. The hens lay about an egg a day, like going broody and the cocks crow is, Asil in nature, therefore short and Baritone. If handled regularly they are super docile.

They are fun to watch

These are Sooooo Cool!! Do they have a regular chicken lifespan? Are you coming to the meet up Sept. 30th? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/707787/details-for-the-next-san-diego-meet-up-sept-30-2012

hey everyone. Yesterday when I went up to the barn to give my chickens food and water, I discovered our elderly hen Blindy had died. I believed it to be attributed to the fact she was old (she was blind in one eye, slow-moving, just old-looking in general). We had been pretty much expecting it to happen for a couple months, as she just looked about ready to keel over. However, today, I was shocked to see a weasel in our backyard hanging around the rabbit cages. I had never seen one before but remembered some posts a few months back regarding this. I got the pellet gun but missed the first shot and it hung out for a bit, then ran into the neighbor's yard when my boyfriend came up. Now I'm wondering if it killed my old lady Blindy. I never bothered to check her for injuries since it didn't really come as a surprise when I found her.

Should I be very obsessive about killing this thing or let it be? I recall discussion that someone's neighbor THOUGHT it was killling their chickens but I don't know if it was ever verified. It was very small, like a long ground squirrel with a long tail and a poof at the end. I'd say smaller than a ferret, but could be a baby? Are they beneficial at all? We have rats and I'd love to think this thing would kill them, though it's only about double the size of a rat.

Last edited:
hey everyone. Yesterday when I went up to the barn to give my chickens food and water, I discovered our elderly hen Blindy had died. I believed it to be attributed to the fact she was old (she was blind in one eye, slow-moving, just old-looking in general). We had been pretty much expecting it to happen for a couple months, as she just looked about ready to keel over. However, today, I was shocked to see a weasel in our backyard hanging around the rabbit cages. I had never seen one before but remembered some posts a few months back regarding this. I got the pellet gun but missed the first shot and it hung out for a bit, then ran into the neighbor's yard when my boyfriend came up. Now I'm wondering if it killed my old lady Blindy. I never bothered to check her for injuries since it didn't really come as a surprise when I found her.

Should I be very obsessive about killing this thing or let it be? I recall discussion that someone's neighbor THOUGHT it was killling their chickens but I don't know if it was ever verified. It was very small, like a long ground squirrel with a long tail and a poof at the end. I'd say smaller than a ferret, but could be a baby? Are they beneficial at all? We have rats and I'd love to think this thing would kill them, though it's only about double the size of a rat.
Sorry about Blindy, I have a one eye-blind girl named Blinky.

If it is a weasel, it will definitely go after your chickens, been there done that. Not sure if they will take out a rat or not, but I would rather use the rats as target practice, and rid my self of the weasel. JMO

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom