San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

perchie.girl :

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Just subscribe to the thread which you can do at the end of a post or at the bottom of the thread as you read it. Its a little check box.

deb

I think the problem is that at some point you didn't go to BYC to follow up on the thread. They don't send any more notification after you let one go without checking the site. At least that's what they did with me. Then all it takes to be back on the notification list is to follow up each notification with a visit back to BYC. Anyway, welcome back and don't let it worry you, we're still here.​

Quote:
I believe most folks use pellets because it produces less waste! If your birds are use to crumble it will take them a few weeks to adjust to the pellets.

Quote:
My flock uses crumbles and HATES the pellets. They will not eat it otherwise I would just buy it at the feed store which carries Kruse's organic.
hmm.png
It has still been quite dusty, I am so hesitant to buy alot. Seems like so much waste but I do not have alot of options w/ the picky a** chickens.

Nancy

Quote:
My flock uses crumbles and HATES the pellets. They will not eat it otherwise I would just buy it at the feed store which carries Kruse's organic.
hmm.png
It has still been quite dusty, I am so hesitant to buy alot. Seems like so much waste but I do not have alot of options w/ the picky a** chickens.

Nancy

How about this fill the feeder at the bottom with crumble mixed with a little bit of of the pellets then another layer with crumble and more pellets till the last layer is all pellets. Thats what I did with my guineas It was too funney they would shove the pellets aside left and right to see where the crumble went. BUt they are eating it now.

Quote:
hmm.png

Nancy

If you fill their feeders with it and don't give anything else I guarantee you they will eat it.

They won't starve themselves it just takes time for them to get used to it.
wink.png

I agree with Cari. I have switched my flock from one type of feed including crumbles to pellets and they act like they will not touch it but within a short while they sure do. The same applies to supplementary foods. They turn their beaks away from something that they have not seen yet or something offered i a different format but eventually they eat it. I come back later and the pen is empty of anything edible.

Who is in charge Nancy, you or the birds.

Well, here is something I've done with success....

I feed my seramas a Pigeon food, Nutriblend. Its small round pellets, and they seem to like it a lot, and do very well on it. I've gotten in a few birds from another breeder that uses lay mash. Now because Seramas are kind of cold sensitive, and my coops are big and airy, I move them morning and night, from an enclosed shed aka rooster motel, to the open air coops. I put their preferred food in their daytime coops, and the alternative food in their evening/ early morning coops, and then after a while I switch it. The food I want them to adjust to, goes in their daytime coops, and the food they prefer is in the nighttime coops. That way, nobody can starve themselves. Seramas, being so small, I worry constantly..... I check their crops when I move them in and out, to make sure they are normal, full at night, and mostly empty in the morning. I've been pretty successful transferring new birds over this way.

Back
Top Bottom